TR2 quarter panel capping

Sorry, me again I'm afraid. If you weren't all so helpful I wouldn't keep pestering you.

I'm restoring a late long door TR2. I believe the overlap of the dog leg shaped aluminium trim capping immediately behind the doors goes over the top of the associated trim panel on a 2 although I know it definitely goes underneath on later side screens.

Can anyone confirm this is definitely right for a 2 of my description? Was the change at the end of the TR2 run or during ? I've checked both Bill Piggot's "Original TR" books but he doesn't coment, although a couple of pictures appear to bear this out. I enclose a photo of the untrimmed cappings (inside edge uppermost) which have a swage line along them presumably to allow for the trim panel going underneath. Perhaps the later cars had the same pressing but it's difficult to tell as the trim panel overlap is over the capping on them.

The car is not going to be concourse but I would like to get visible and simple matters such as this correct.

Thanks again for your help.

Trevor.

I don't know the answer but, FWIW, according to the parts book, the pressings changed at TS22014. I have a part set of spare aluminium cappings with the swage line but can't remember which car they came from :blink: although my other TR3A is/was TS29xxx. The cappings on my later TR3A (TS78xxx) are steel (and ferrous oxide) at present, with no swage line, and fit under the trim panels.

I am planning to retrim a replacement set at some stage as those on the car were retrimmed many years ago and are slightly the worse for wear, so I'd be interested to know whether I can use the aluminium cappings, or have to find a full set of steel (definitely not using fibreglass :huh:).

I will follow this thread with interest.

Hi Trevor,

I did all the trim, other than the seats, in long door TR2 TS3900 0 shown in the foreground of photo 31 of the slideshow used at your AGM. The original alum "S" cappings overlapped the adjoining trim panel as you correctly surmise. They are fixed with chromed CSK self tappers and cup washers as per the door panels, but you can't see this in photo 31 due to the tonneau.

I am not sure when they changed from aluminium to pressed steel for this capping, but you are correct in stating for the TR3A this capping went beneath the adjoining trim panel, with contrasting piping along the join line.

Incidently seeing you are restoring a long door, you might be interested in the beautiful river redgum timber dash made up by a skilled cabinetmaker that we put into TS3900 0, and its unique plexiglass sidescreens. See it at <www.tr-register.com.au> go to Gallery... Ken Copeland's car.

Compliments of the Season,

Viv