Surrey Top - Can it be removed ?

Hello,

Something I don't understand with Surrey Tops : Is it possible to remove the whole "hardtop"during summer ? I mean all pieces of the hardtop in order to have during summer a regular TR4 and during winter a TR4 with Surrey Top. Or is it like the Targa of Porsche where only the top of the "hardtop" can be removed ?

I've seen an ad for a TR4 with Surrey Top. The car seems nice, but I would prefer not to have a Surrey Top. Can I just remove it from the TR4 (and maybe sell it apart) ? Or would I be obliged to live with it ?

Thanks !

Karl

Hi karl

The whole assembly bolts onto the car and is not too difficult to remove after the internal trim has been taken out. Each of the different models fitted with a Surrey by the factory has a different hoodframe assembly (ie TR4, TR4A, TR5,) so you will need different conversion parts for each. Once you have fitted them once is will not be difficult to change between the two. I would guess 3-4 hours each way.

Surrey tops are now fetching a lot of money on the secondhand market so a surrey topped car may demand upto £1500 more than a 'standard' car.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hi Karl,

don't be put off by the rear window of the surrey top. It really does work well. Why do you think people spend a fortune (well a couple of quid at least) on the breeze breakers for the open top cars.

The only draw back is the time taken to put the damn thing up (in the rain usually). If you get a surrey top you don't want I'll give you a fiver for it (well it is Christmas)

Roger

Hi Karl,

don't be put off by the rear window of the surrey top. It really does work well. Why do you think people spend a fortune (well a couple of quid at least) on the breeze breakers for the open top cars.

The only draw back is the time taken to put the damn thing up (in the rain usually). If you get a surrey top you don't want I'll give you a fiver for it (well it is Christmas)

Roger

Hi,

I know Surrey tops are expensive and I know that some people love them. But personally, I prefer a TR4 without Surrey top (from an esthetic point of view). I wonder then if I can buy a TR4 with a Surrey top, remove it easily, and then sell the Surrey top... Or should I only look at TR4 without Surrey tops ?

Cheers,

Karl

Karl,

You can certainly remove the surrey top backlight and sell the kit in a heartbeat for what will seem like an amazing sum. It will be necessary to find the rear cockpit surround pieces ( chrome over brass on the earliest cars, and anodized aluminium on later ones ). Not sure how available these are today.

May I suggest you take a ride in a Surrey top example before making up your mind? There's nothing like it for highway speeds with the top off as compared to dreadful buffeting in the soft top variety. The view from the driver's seat is the same either way.