Cigarette Lighter

Bill Piggott states in 'Original Triumph' that a cigarette lighter was an option from new and was fitted below the dashboard to avoid drilling the visible part of the panel.

Does anyone have an original fit? Could you advise exactly where/how they were fitted?

Many thanks

Sean

Sean, I have an original 1st Edition, 2nd printing of the TR4 Spare Parts Catalogue. I have checked under the Electrical Equipment section and the Accesories & Special Orders section and there is no mention of a cigarette lighter so it seems doubtful that it will have a Standard Triumph part number. If it was a dealer fitment then I would imagine a variety of options could be used, so there may well be no definitive part or location.

I've fitted a cigarette lighter to my now negative earth TR4, as although I'm a none smoker I've found it a useful socket for phone charger, inspection light, air bed pump etc

Regards

Trevor.

Thanks Trevor,

I am not a smoker either but want the power outlet for MP3, phone etc when touring.

I have a suitable cigarette lighter and will make an appropriate bracket but was hoping to see how this was originally done to try and keep mine as "original" as possible. If I don't have any luck on the forum I'll make an educated guess!

Regards

Sean

... If I don't have any luck on the forum I'll make an educated guess!

Might be worth dropping Bill 'the Oracle' Piggott himself an email or PM ('Wee Willy'on the forum) - I'm sure if they existed he would have seen one.

Edited by BrianC

Sean

I fitted a 12v 'Ciggy Socket' to my 'old' TR4 and now my TR5 for the same reasons (non-smoker and all that) installing it in the 'H-Frame' and taking supply from a spare teminal on the fuse box.

Depending on where the power is taken, it can be either permanent live or switched live...

Regards

:lol: Com on guys - you went to Halfords in the old days and bought an extra toggle switch, ciggy lighter or whatever and attached it to the underside of the dashboard of your TR, Cortina or Mini . It was THE optional extra . These days the lads add blue lights, loud exhausts and extra loud stereo! :P