Hi.

I am going to replace the two seals in the pedestal.

If i dissconnect the pedestal then undo the three bolts on the fuel metering unit i can access the area to replace the seals.

i dont have a problem with replacing the seals but am i liable to set up the timing by doing this , what shouild i be careful off.

Or is it just a case of not turnig the engine over

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy,you will still have to check the ignition and injection timing afterwards,but don't forget to set the engine to Nos,1 and 6 cylinder TDC No, 1 cylinder firing before you take it all apart.

Alittle grease on the drive pinion after you have fitted new O rings helps you not damaging the new seals.

Good luck

Barry.

Guy,you will still have to check the ignition and injection timing afterwards,but don't forget to set the engine to Nos,1 and 6 cylinder TDC No, 1 cylinder firing before you take it all apart.

Alittle grease on the drive pinion after you have fitted new O rings helps you not damaging the new seals.

Good luck

Barry.

Thanks Barry,

I have the sump off at present awaiting new thrust washers, so once i have completed that task. i will do seals

Chhers

Guy

Set the dizzy & crankshaft as Barry suggest before you start & don’t turn the engine over in the meantime. I would remove the M/U first, then the pedestal. When you replace the seals, make sure the tell tale hole is exposed. Check the dizzy drive shaft end float before you put it all back together & make sure you get the drive shaft offset slot the correct way around otherwise the dizzy will be 180 degrees out.

You may need a little trial & error when meshing the drive shaft with the camshaft gear as it will turn on the helix as you put it in; but it’s not that difficult to establish when you meshed with the correct tooth! Check the M/U distributor timing when you bolt it back on the pedestal (Page 19:35:01 in the manual). Your supposed to use a special pilot tool to prevent damage to the seals but I never bother; I just use a little grease (again as Barry suggests) & have never had a problem. Replace the dizzy & re-set the timing.

Set the dizzy & crankshaft as Barry suggest before you start & don’t turn the engine over in the meantime. I would remove the M/U first, then the pedestal. When you replace the seals, make sure the tell tale hole is exposed. Check the dizzy drive shaft end float before you put it all back together & make sure you get the drive shaft offset slot the correct way around otherwise the dizzy will be 180 degrees out.

You may need a little trial & error when meshing the drive shaft with the camshaft gear as it will turn on the helix as you put it in; but it’s not that difficult to establish when you meshed with the correct tooth! Check the M/U distributor timing when you bolt it back on the pedestal (Page 19:35:01 in the manual). Your supposed to use a special pilot tool to prevent damage to the seals but I never bother; I just use a little grease (again as Barry suggests) & have never had a problem. Replace the dizzy & re-set the timing.

Thanks Richard

Great help.

One question with reference to 19.35.01 sheet 1 item 5

When i look into no 6 outlet in mu , metering unit is timed correctly if it looks like AA AB AC. (isnt one better than the other)

I had thought of looking at the position of the rotor in mu through hole prior to removing to give me a refence point.

Hope i am on the correct track, am sure it will become clearer once i have it apart, having never taken these parts apart before.

Still awaiting bearings so wont be on this job for a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

If you look down the little hole you should see an incresasing moon not a decreasing one. The manual is very missleading.

Don't worry about putting the metering unit on with a timing that is 180° out, the dam things still works & you just wonder for the next 2 years why it does not seem quite right when your driving. I wonder how many people in the club have done that one.:(:(:(

Concur with Peter’s increasing moon description, i.e. no 6 port should be opening not closing. Anywhere in the range of the 3 illustrations shown is acceptable; personally I always s aim for A & not more than B.

With regard to getting the dizzy 180 out; it will still work in this position (in fact you set it at almost any position & it will still work providing you set the timing accordingly & get the firing order of the leads correct. Getting the dizzy in the wrong position, however, does make life more difficult;

a) when you come to connect the tacho cable

b ) some pre-cut plug leads do not appear to be the correct length;

c) you may have difficulty fitting/removing the adjacent spark plugs.

Concur with Peter’s increasing moon description, i.e. no 6 port should be opening not closing. Anywhere in the range of the 3 illustrations shown is acceptable; personally I always s aim for A & not more than B.

With regard to getting the dizzy 180 out; it will still work in this position (in fact you set it at almost any position & it will still work providing you set the timing accordingly & get the firing order of the leads correct. Getting the dizzy in the wrong position, however, does make life more difficult;

a) when you come to connect the tacho cable

b ) some pre-cut plug leads do not appear to be the correct length;

c) you may have difficulty fitting/removing the adjacent spark plugs.

Thanks Peter and Richard.

Heres a picy of injector six union on mu. Whilst still attached to pedistal.

Looks like a B to me. Hope its visible.

DSC04468-1.jpg

Regards

GUY

Thanks Peter and Richard.

Heres a picy of injector six union on mu. Whilst still attached to pedistal.

Looks like a B to me. Hope its visible.

DSC04468-1.jpg

Regards

GUY

Yes Guy, looks like B to me also; but it also has frightening resemblance to the eyes I saw staring back at me in the mirror when attempting to shave on the morning of 28 (Oct), the day after my birthday!

Yes Guy, looks like B to me also; but it also has frightening resemblance to the eyes I saw staring back at me in the mirror when attempting to shave on the morning of 28 (Oct), the day after my birthday!

Tar Richard

It does look like something is alive in there, creepy :lol::lol:

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal