Arcing HT leads

Hi all

Once upon a time CT24520 ran beautifully. Then the carbs started leaking petrol, tracked to the o rings on the mixture jet, replaced these (also the diagphrams, three times as cd 175 replacements seem to be for the second gen of strombergs). Anyway, have now balanced the carbs, set the mixutre with aid of a colour tune, set the points and ignition timing (8 BTDC)

and she is still not as happy as she was. A friend suggested looking at the HT leads in the dark and sure enough I had my own mini firework display.

My question to you all then is, what should I replace the leads with? I want to retain as much originality as possible, ie not blue or yellow leads. I understand modern leads are silicone rather than copper, will these be better or worse than a straight copper replacement. My dizzy cap is of the side entry type. Should the spark plug caps be straight or 90 degree elbows?

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks

Frosts mail order also sell black PVC covered copper core HT lead at £4.00 for 5 metres. The side entry distributor cap you have is the correct one for a TR4. I use straight NGK spark plug caps but these are a sort of maroon colour and may not be to your taste if you are after an original look. I believe most original caps were black.

Regards

Trevor.

It is now the following day and I have fitted new copper HT leads. However, in the dark last night there were still sparks arcing from the new leads to any piece of metal in the close vacinity. Is this normal and just not noticed in daylight or can anyone shed any light?

It is now the following day and I have fitted new copper HT leads. However, in the dark last night there were still sparks arcing from the new leads to any piece of metal in the close vacinity. Is this normal and just not noticed in daylight or can anyone shed any light?

They shouldnt arc at all otherwise you will be losing power at the plugs. Sounds as if the quality of the leads is a bit suspect.

Stuart.

People,

A word of warning here: some of us use sat.nav. systems in their TRs. Not all of these systems can cope with ordinary HT leads. You'll have to use the sort of HT leads that have a protection 'gizmo' around the core. I don't know the right words for it in English, but ordinary (old school) HT leads will kill your sat.nav. before your continental tour is over!

Menno