Just a few thoughts

Hi all,

Today I've finished overhauling my carburators. Sadly no pics, I forgot to take my camera with me to the workshop. While working on them, Allen and I spoke about an electric fuel pump. (Also regarding your thoughts a few weeks back about a mechanical vs. an electrical fuel pump).

We started talking about a fuel pressure regulator and other possible ways to control the fuel flow. And we noticed that no-one mentions a fuel return pipe from the carbs. back to the tank. Has anyone ever considered routing a small diameter fuel return pipe?

Next questions are about the short vent pipes on top of the float chamber lid. On all pics. I've seen, both pipes are very short. Wouldn't it be wise to extend the pipes (or small diameter fuel hose) and run them down under the car, away from hot parts like the exhaust manifold? Any experiences anyone?

I'm offered a pair of Webers. Not too expensive. Don't know about the right type for my TR. So, who's running them and what's your advise (I still have to visit Terri Ann's webpages).

When I start dreaming about that, I always take a look at the Pri Race webpages: 4 small Keihin (Japanese) motorcycle carbs. on a bespoke manifold... Every carb. feeding a cilinder. How nice is that!

Last thing: after buying Dan Master's wiring, I started looking for some kind of sleeves to fit over the bundles of multicoated wiring. Today, I've found the answer: in a local car parts store they sell some kind of nylon (?) braided sleeves. Several sizes, one colour: black. Even a flame retarding varity. That's what it's going to be.

I'll keep you posted.

Menno

Next questions are about the short vent pipes on top of the float chamber lid. On all pics. I've seen, both pipes are very short. Wouldn't it be wise to extend the pipes (or small diameter fuel hose) and run them down under the car, away from hot parts like the exhaust manifold? Any experiences anyone?

Having recently got my TR3A back from a total rebuild, I noticed some strange, long thin pipes coming out of the float chambers. TRGB had done exactly what you suggest - seems an obvious mod if you think about it. The old H6 carbs on my other TR3A used to vent back into the air filters.

I believe the short pipe idea was thought to be safer than having a pool of fuel on the floor when the carbs overflow. Especially good in the days when everybody smoked!!!

Stuart.

Hi again Menno,

Regarding the Webers, be careful if you are considering a secondhand pair. Originally each number of Weber was produced for its own car e.g. a 40DCOE8 might have been for an Alfa, whereas a 40DCOE10 might have been for a Maserati. These are just to explain the principal, and are not real match ups. No side-draught Weber was made for a TR3A, so they are always adapted.

During my TR3A rebuild I picked up a set of secondhand 40DCOE2's, thinking they would be OK, as they were low number (2) which I was told were the most suitable, and they had been on a TR3A. Well, what a drama. When I unpacked the box from interstate there were 4 pages of records of endless purchases of jets etc. and adverse comments on dyno tests, but the owner was never satisfied with them due to flat spots, spitting etc. and he had spent a bundle. Unfortunately they came from his deceased estate, so I didn't get to talk it through before the purchase. Seems he had taken them off his car and returned to the SU's. Wiser from the experience, and also hearing that you had to rework the ignition for Webers, I decided to onsell them and stick with the SU's.

That said, I have had a car with multiple DCOE Webers on it where they were designed for the engine, and they were trouble free for the four years I owned it.

If you want to go for longer (safer) overflow pipes on the SU fuel bowls, Jag 3.4 and 3.8 Mk2's had them almost three times longer that TR's, so you might be able to pick up a couple of these from an SU supplier such as have been mentioned on this Forum, or a Jag breaker.

Cheers,

Viv.

Cheers,

Viv.