1962 axle locating pins missing

About a year ago I purchased a partically restored TR4. The engine, transimision and rear end had all been rebuilt. The rest of the car was in pieces. Fast forward... the car is now complete. However I just noticed that I'm missing two axle pins (?) on the right rear of my car. I believe that these pins hold the halfshaft onto the axle. Here are two picture to help with my description.

Missing pin

148.jpg

Pin intact

150.jpg

So where to go from here? I guess I need the pins... Can the pins be bought and installed? Will the axle have to come out? Will I have to find a new (rebuilt axle)? or Can the axle be saved?

Edited by Larry

Larry

You need to get this looked at as judging by the witness marks someone has tried to pull this casing apart and if the pins are missing you cant be certain its all back in place properly. I wouldnt use this on my car in the state its in. The shimming of the shafts is necessary for proper life and if the tubes arent screwed in and pinned tis will be all over the place. As far as Im aware you can buy the pins or have them made (competent machine shop) so id get this sorted first before using or ditching it (which seems a bit extreme!).

Regards

Tony

Larry, once its welded up you will need to check the shimming, as Tony has said, on the affected side in case the re-welded half shaft tube has moved slightly since rebuild and welding up.

Regards

Trevor.