Hi,

I,m off on a touring holiday through France to Southern Spain (3,000 miles) early September. Although running satisfactorily on an electric fan since rebuild, I am anticipating high temperatures, so I've decided to be belt and braces and re-fit the mechanical fan to help at low speeds.

The problem is, each of the four metal blades has a groove pressed parallel to each blade edge, and I cannot remember which way round the raised grooved on the blade faces e.g. the radiator or engine, because the fan will fit either way. Any help appreciated. :mellow:

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

63 (slightly modified) TR4

Phil, I assume from your description that you are referring to the 4a fan blade with flat blade ends and 2 ridges down each blade, rather than the TR4 fan with curved ends to the blades and no ridges. On looking at the Haynes workshop manual and Roger Williams TR4/4a book, both books show the fan with the raised part of the ridges facing towards the back of the radiator. As I have a TR4 & a TR2 with the earlier curved blades I'm afraid I can't speak from personal experience, but I would be surprised if both the above books were incorrect.

Good luck with your trip. I have taken my TR4 abroad every year for the last 5 years on holiday and thoroughly enjoyed each trip. Incidentally, I have an electric fan operated by a manual switch but have also retained the original.

Regards

Trevor

Thanks Peter; Trevor and Rhodri.

I hadn't realised I had a 4a fan till Trevor pointed it out!. I have only just dug it out of my box of 'left-overs' from the rebuild. Anyway, I can now continue fitting it confidently.

Thanks Guys :rolleyes:

Phil

Originality aside for a second has anybody found a plastic fan that fits? Presumably they would be lighter and avoid the balancing issues with the TR4 version

I have a plastic TR6 fan on my 4a that works fine.

Stuart.