Petrol leaking from overflow pipe!

Hi there, I'm having some problems with my tr pushing petrol back out the overflow pipe all over the pavement. The car is on triple webers and it has only occurred since this change. This only occurs when the car is stopped after driving and it only happens when the tank is over half full. Any ideas!! Do i really need this pipe if the fuel cap is vented?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, I'm having some problems with my tr pushing petrol back out the overflow pipe all over the pavement. The car is on triple webers and it has only occurred since this change. This only occurs when the car is stopped after driving and it only happens when the tank is over half full. Any ideas!! Do i really need this pipe if the fuel cap is vented?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. How are you pumping the fuel to your webers?

Do you use a PI tank on your car ? If the vent is connected to the return pipe of the former PRV you might get problems like these. On later tanks the pipe is protruding half way into the tank just above the swirl pot. When the pipe is drawing vaccum while driving it will probably suck fuel until the the level is down to the end of the pipe :(

With a vented cap you could blank off the pipe in question

HI, thanks for your replies. In regards to the fuel pump its a Facet electronic one. I'll have to look through the piles of old reciepts and see if the tank has been changed as the car is a PI.

Thanks again.

I doubt they will have changed the tank during a swap to webers unless the old tank was rusted out. All you need to do is make sure that both of the return pipes to the tank are blocked off (There should be two - one for the return from the prv & the other for the return from the metering unit normally these are found on the n/s top of the tank)

If they haven't been blanked off there is the potential for them to syphon fuel out of the tank if they protrude deep enough into the tank.