What gauge metal for patch panels?

Hello to all from Hot (OK, it's a dry heat) Sacramento, California

I am just digging into a body off restoration of my 59' TR3A (TS38xxxL).

This one is pretty rusty. It will need floor pans, inner and outer sills, and a trunk (boot) floor, at a minimum. Who knows what else I may find as I dig in deeper.

I have purchased sills and floor pans. But I will need to fab some small patch panels in various locations, including a panel to remove rust along the base of the firewall, where it meets the floor pan. Can anyone recommend what gauge metal would be appropriate for the patch panels? Thanks in advance and I'm sharing a few photos of my new project for your enjoyment.

Best regards,

Pat Galvin

Folsom, CA

Thanks very much Nigel

I'll give 18 gauge a try. I appreciate the response.

Kind regards,

Pat

Hello to all from Hot (OK, it's a dry heat) Sacramento, California

I am just digging into a body off restoration of my 59' TR3A (TS38xxxL).

This one is pretty rusty. It will need floor pans, inner and outer sills, and a trunk (boot) floor, at a minimum. Who knows what else I may find as I dig in deeper.

I have purchased sills and floor pans. But I will need to fab some small patch panels in various locations, including a panel to remove rust along the base of the firewall, where it meets the floor pan. Can anyone recommend what gauge metal would be appropriate for the patch panels? Thanks in advance and I'm sharing a few photos of my new project for your enjoyment.

Best regards,

Pat Galvin

Folsom, CA

Dear Pat Galvin, most 60,s cars use 20g, i tend to use 18g as the thicker the steel the easier it is to beat, form, into curves, all the best, R. p.s please don't use gavanised steel.