I have just aquired a perfectly good 3.5 Rover V8 out of a Range Rover for the huge price of a carton of beer. I am seriously considering trying to fit the engine into my TR4 mated up to a celica 5 speed box and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has undertaken such a conversion and how much of a pain was it.

Hi Tony

This site is worth is very interesting and a look: http://www.britishv8.org/Photos-Triumph-Conversions.htm

This is one of the better fitting/looking V8 conversions (albeit a Ford), others just look mad:

JaySmith-Banner.jpgJaySmith-F.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

I like that site;My brain is working overtime and I have just found out that my carton of beer has also scored me a Rover gearbox as well. I am going to have to start doing some measuring and some web surfing to see exactly how much modifying I will have to do. I would say that there is a good chance the Rover donk will weigh less than the large piece of cast iron that is in the engine bay at the moment.

What happens to the prop shaft and rear axle when the V8's torque is applied? I know you can obtain uprated prop shafts (I have one in 4VC), but a 40-year old crown wheel & pinion may not take too happily to so much grunt! Since 4VC went back on the road in '93, it has consumed two pinions (stripped teeth, and that damages the crown wheel, too) - and I NEVER do drop-clutch racing starts! I put it down to old age (the cw&p, as well as the driver!). That said, the racing boys must be shoving out a lot more than the standard TR4's 130 lbf.ft - but they are used to replacing the bits that break, whereas one wants reliability in a road car. With all the extra torque, you could fit a 3.45 cw&p set - that would give even more mph/1000 rpm.

In the very early days of the Register, there was a TR2 (possibly TR3) fitted with a V8 from a Daimler SP250 - it was owned by John Hannah, who lived in Studham (near Dunstable), but I have not seen John or the car for at least 25 years.

I'm sure it will fit and that the finished project would be great fun - best of luck!

Ian Cornish

This car seems to be Jay Smith's which is detailed in Roger Williams How to Imrpove TR2-4A

Jay used a 9" Ford axle and a Ford T5 gearbox.

Fantastic Q car

andy

I would definately be fitting taller gearing in the diff. The prop shaft will need to be modified so I might try to source something a bit beefier from the local car wreckers and have that modified to fit. A larger radiator will have to be fitted as the little one in it at the moment needs the help of 2 electric fans and an electric water pump to help keep the 4 banger cool on hot tropical days.

[hi ,my wife helen has a rover v8 in her TR6, been done before w got it and just needed finnishing off , did over 3000 miles in it last year, it has the 5 speed rover box, very smooth and ambles along at high speeds

has the standard drive train ecept for the spax conversion so tend to take it a bit easy on take off, lots of fun in all weathers

@ Shoptr

How did you (or the previous owner actually) manage to clear the steering column?

I am personally not a fan of joints to lead it around the exhaust manifold. Did you ever get the chance to weigh the car?

I bet it is not only a performance upgrade but also a nice weight reduction.

Kristof.

hi there is an extra joint in the colum, and there is a bulge in the bonnet , i know that if you use a holly carb or injecction you can get away from modifying your bonnet, will try and upload some more pics, did another 100 miles in the car yesterday and yes it does make ya smile simon