Please can someone explain what has happened to my genuine Lucas unit. On the last bit of the journey back from the International I noticed that the ignition light was not comimng on when discharge was showing on the ammeter. Back in the garage I cleaned the contacts at each end of the wire from the light to the cutout(D) and generally cleaned up all the connections. There was a small short when the pliers touched the fat brown wire at (A1) The light shone more brightly but still failed to come on when discharge showed. So I ran a fine rubbing down paper between the contacts on the cut out annd the regulator. It was very light and only two passes.

Something is now serious because the ammeter showed discharge with the ignition off. After a few minutes it reverted to normal and now if I start the engine the points do not close and the light stays on brightly.

This is very disappointing because I have had nothing but trouble from these new units and when I found a genuine Lucas B 90 I was very pleased and it has worked like a dream for 6 months.

What have I done? Please help as I clearly do not have enough knowledge. :huh::(:(:(

Sometimes this works. Give it a try. With the engine off and the ignition off, remove the cover from the voltage regulator. Push several times on the relay blades to close them and then release. Then try to start it up. It may help. If it doesn't help, while it's running tap the relay blades again and see if it corrects itself.

If not, shut it down and take a small steel file and pass the file surfaces between the relay contact points to clean them. Then try again. If you use sandpaper, it may help, but you don't want to leave any sand grit on the contact points because sand may interfere as sand doesn't conduct current.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

http://www.triumphest2006.com/images/clubc...tt'str3.jpg

Photo from VTR 2001

I have called at two auto electricians in the area and neither had any test equipment or interest in nmy problem. Can anyone recommend a proper workshop where thay understand these fittings or an overhaul by post. :unsure::unsure:

I have called at two auto electricians in the area and neither had any test equipment or interest in my problem. Maybe when cleaning the points I have opened up the gap, would this prevent thepoints from closing. I wish I had never taken off the lid. Can anyone recommend a proper workshop where thay understand these fittings or an overhaul by post. :unsure::unsure:

Alan - Tu a raison. Ceci est le trophie Durand que Ken Richardson a gagne a LeMans en 1961 pour l'equipe de trois voitures TRS. On my donne ca quand j'etais a VTR en Colorado en 2001. Mais je ne gardais le trophie que 24 heures.

Don