Rear Spring Height Adjusters

They have just put speed humps in the village and I can’t get the TR6 over them. I had up rated suspension done around 2 years ago that lowered by around 2 inches. I have seen some alloy collars on the TRF website in the US that will raise the ride height by different amounts depending on which you buy. My questions are,

How much do you think they will change the handling by?

Has anybody else done the same?

Can you buy them anywhere in the UK?

Thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

You may find it best to go back to standard springs after all. With the camber set to optimum ( negative at both ends ) it's pretty amazing how the car will handle vs. the majority of them. Controlled slides are part of the fun anyway, right? :lol:

One end of my driveway has a nice hump too, and lowering mine will give the same trouble - even going to lower profile tyres in my case. Hummm... :unsure:

Hi Geoff, are these speed humps (about 5' wide) which larger vehicles can straddle or speed tables which go right across the road, if the former, go between them rather than trying to straddle them, lumpy but won't take the underside or exhaust off!

Hi Geoff, are these speed humps (about 5' wide) which larger vehicles can straddle or speed tables which go right across the road, if the former, go between them rather than trying to straddle them, lumpy but won't take the underside or exhaust off!

They go across the width of the road. If I go out the long way I have to go over three, if I go the short route I have to go over about eight. I normally get 2 wheels on the pavement so the middle of the car gets more clearance but this still takes a lot of time and you can almost hear the tut tutting coming from behind the net curtains.

Geoff

They have just put speed humps in the village and I can’t get the TR6 over them. I had up rated suspension done around 2 years ago that lowered by around 2 inches. I have seen some alloy collars on the TRF website in the US that will raise the ride height by different amounts depending on which you buy. My questions are,

How much do you think they will change the handling by?

Has anybody else done the same?

Can you buy them anywhere in the UK?

Thanks

Geoff

Why not contact your local highways authority and threaten to take action against them for depriving you of the right to use your car. Presumably you owned the car before they built the speed humps. This sort of unitary action by the authorities is not acceptable.

A few years back the local council built chicanes in the fishing village of Newlyn in Cornwall. This outraged the local people who found them a great inconvenience. It is a busy working port and lorries just couldn't work around them. Complaints achieved nothing so one night a digger demolished them. As you can imagine there were no witnesses or at least no one would come forward. They were never reinstated.

Why not contact your local highways authority and threaten to take action against them for depriving you of the right to use your car. Presumably you owned the car before they built the speed humps. This sort of unitary action by the authorities is not acceptable.

A few years back the local council built chicanes in the fishing village of Newlyn in Cornwall. This outraged the local people who found them a great inconvenience. It is a busy working port and lorries just couldn't work around them. Complaints achieved nothing so one night a digger demolished them. As you can imagine there were no witnesses or at least no one would come forward. They were never reinstated.

It is part of the national obsession with speed humps. The parish council has challenged the council over them. The response has been very limited as they hide behind the "safety" aspect of having them. Also they say that there is no recognised maximum height requirement. Also whilst most residents dislike them they are not as disrupted by them as me. Added to the poor weather it makes it less likley that I get the car out unless for a full day. Raising the ride height gives me an immidiate workable solution.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, these are speed tables, there are very strict measurements which these have to comply with, so if the approach ramps have to be less than a certain angle (shorter the length, greater the angle) and the tables can only be a certain height - definitely worth a letter of complaint raising these points with the Highways Authority.

Hi Geoff, these are speed tables, there are very strict measurements which these have to comply with, so if the approach ramps have to be less than a certain angle (shorter the length, greater the angle) and the tables can only be a certain height - definitely worth a letter of complaint raising these points with the Highways Authority.

Jonlar, any idea if these are published anywhere? I know somebody challenged the council and was advised there was no regulation as to the height so if I could find something published.

Thanks

Geoff

They are covered by The Highways ( Road Hump ) Regulation 1999 which gives a maximum height of 100mm amongst other requirements.

They are covered by The Highways ( Road Hump ) Regulation 1999 which gives a maximum height of 100mm amongst other requirements.

Found them on the highways website. I think because they are longer than 1.2 mtrs they should not be higher than 50mm. I have written to the council, the parish council, our local councilor and our MP. Might try and find somebody with a JCB to help me make a point as well.

Thanks for that Rhodri, I hadn't had time to find them out - been looking for a head gasket set - not found it yet Crawf.

Let us know what you hear back Geoff - keep a copy of all correspondence and send your's Recorded Delivery - it seem to get their attention!

Possibly a short term solution whilst your prolonged "fight" with the local council goes ahead. In my spit that has lowered suspension I take these road humps at a diagonal to slightly improve the clearance height. There must be someone who can explain this phenomenon but it works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi PJM, going up a ramp at an angle reduces the steepness, it is further in distance travelled for the same gain in height, a technique used by off-roaders (but really needs an inclinometer, to show the angle of dangle!).

Edited by jonlar

Just for an update on the speed humps. The council are going to trial on 2 of the worse humps reducing the incline to the humps that they accept is to steep and also reduce the height. They plan to do this in the Autumn and then if the trial is accepted by residents as being a success they will do the rest of them.

Geoff