Which engines the best

Hello, I've a early 1977 4 speed FHC TR7 that's been sat in my mum's garage for over 16 years, would it be better to get the head done for unleaded, or should I go to the dark side and go for the V8. I did put a 5 speed gear box in it but getting married and having two kids the car was left and I didn't get the chance to find an axle and prop-shaft, so I'll need to find them as well. Is the cost for the unleaded head expensive? (not many penny's two small kids)

Many thanks

Trev

:unsure:

The 4 cylinder engine has an alloy head so has valve seat inserts as standard & it would be strange to fit different ones to the USA cars.

I have heard they had separate listings but the same part number.

By now we should have seen a lot of 7s & Stags burning out their exhaust valve seats if they were not suitable for unleaded which doesn't seem to be the case.

Its the valves that are of different material for leaded / unleaded, the seats are the same.

When I converted my Stag, I sourced the unleaded TR7 valves, which do have a different part number to the leaded type, even though they or the same dimensions. The supplier confirmed that the materials are different.

Although I had run the Stag for 30000 miles on unleaded with the orioginal valves and there was no sign of a problem !

Mike

Many thanks for all the info everyone, what a great forum, next time I'm there I'll have a good look at the 7's body, I'll take a camera and post some pictures for your entertainment. I'll need to free the clutch I suppose, empty the fuel tank and replace the brake fluid, and the engine, gearbox and axle fluids is there anything else?

Once again many thanks for the info, I feel a lot better about bringing it back to life with your help.

Cheers

Trev

:D

I echo the other responses. I've run all my TR7s (2L and V8) on unleaded. Due to the volume of 'breaker' TR7s still coming up on ebay, a 5-speed axle will be easy to get hold of. Sadly body restoration is so expensive (and market values so relatively low) rusty cars quick get beyond economic repair.

V8 is the wrong choice if you are on a budget.....

Cheers

Malcolm.

Many thanks Malcolm you are right, just now the V8 option would be a bit too much for my budget. I'll be happy if she runs on unleaded.

I'll be going to my mum's on Saturday and I'll take some photos, are there any areas that I should take pictures of that will give you a better idea of her condition.

Cheers

Trev

Hello, here's the pictures that I mentioned, could you let me have you thoughts, and if Im wasting time the paint on the underside of the car is not good and seems to be crusty. Hope you can see the images ok, please give me your honest thoughts.

Visit www.tklewis.co.uk for the images

Cheers

Trev

Edited by TKL
Hi Trev,

I reckon you can stop worrying . . .

That's not at all bad to my way of thinking, and if it's been sitting in your Mum's garage for 16 years then it's bl**dy amazing. From the look of those photos, there's been some repair work done in the past and it's been done quite adequately and lasted well. Terrific.

First priority to my mind is quite simple - is the shell sound enough to take the kids out in it ? Judging by the pics, that shouldn't be an issue. So go for it !

Whereabouts are you located ? It would be good to have a local Wedge Pilot or 3 look over the car with you.

And don't ever panic, you'll find most of the support you need on the TR Forum.

Cheers,

Hi Trev got to agree wholeheartedly with Alec, from the photo's keep the same engine, and what a clean engine, and get it back on the road because it certainly looks good to me.

Regards Moe :lol:

1982 TR7v8 DHC & 1982 Tr7 Coupe

Alec

Many thanks for having a look for me everyone, great support. I've included some more images to show more of the arch areas and areas under the front panel. I live in Northallerton but the car is in Redcar Alec.

www.tklewis.co.uk for the new images.

Cheers

Trev

For what it's worth, Leyland intended to fit the O Series engine into the TR7 from 1982. It's a decent reliable engine, reasonably powerful, and a fairly easy transplant. I expect the M16 could fit too, now that's a nice engine!

I would agree completely with the post that the slant 4 is an expensive pig to work on, I ran a Sprint for 10 years from '77 and turned the air blue on more than a few occassions!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I've been working on the 7, I've got the 5 speed axle, prop and two front struts so things are underway. I had a look under the rear end and started to get a bit depressed, the fuel tank looks as though it will need replacing as rot has been well established, this also applies to the areas around it, chassis, and panels. At the front off side rot has got to the chassis above the sub-frame front leg and some parts of the floor are looking and feeling a bit thin as well. It's only now that I've had a good chance to have a look at the underside, all I wanted to do was start loosening a few bolts off!!!

:unsure:

Things that are going through my mind (and the wife's, on a finance point) at the moment:

• Do I just get on and get new panels welded in and replace the fuel tank.

• Quit, and strip all the good parts off, then scrap the shell.

• Buy another cheepish later red 7 that needs all of my red bits.

:(

What would you do?

Cheers

Trev

Guest Raider
I would agree completely with the post that the slant 4 is an expensive pig to work on, I ran a Sprint for 10 years from '77 and turned the air blue on more than a few occassions!

I must be lucky then - My car has a Sprint engine in it made up from - a block from a £75 e-bay angine and a head from an engine given to me.

You can judge it's effectiveness here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lwkVeXr5fvI

I intend building up another engine from several spare bits and pieces I have collected or been given ;)