Hello,

Recently we have started a TR3a restoration.

My father already has a restored 3a, but unfortunately I'm too tall to fit behind the steering wheel.

Therefore we started the second project, it isn't going to be a concourse restoration.

One of the major issues is that the steering wheel diameter has to be reduced (a lot)

So Rack and Pinion is a must.

Is is possible to use a std TR4 steering rack ?

I know that the mounting brackets have to be made, my concern is the with.

The chassis looks about the same but is wider on a TR4.

second question is the castor angle.

I would also like to change this to the later 3 deg version.

What parts do i have to change.

The current front suspension is complete, so i would like to reuse what is possible.

Nick,

Revington TR supply all the parts you need, and they work.

I have it on my TR3a and am very pleased. It really is very good.

I don't think it will be possible to use a TR4 steering rack.

I would suggest you call them to discuss. 01823 698437

Revington TR steering rack conversion

Revington TR front suspension parts

Good luck.

Regards

David

Hello,

Recently we have started a TR3a restoration.

My father already has a restored 3a, but unfortunately I'm too tall to fit behind the steering wheel.

Therefore we started the second project, it isn't going to be a concourse restoration.

One of the major issues is that the steering wheel diameter has to be reduced (a lot)

So Rack and Pinion is a must.

Is is possible to use a std TR4 steering rack ?

I know that the mounting brackets have to be made, my concern is the with.

The chassis looks about the same but is wider on a TR4.

second question is the castor angle.

I would also like to change this to the later 3 deg version.

What parts do i have to change.

The current front suspension is complete, so i would like to reuse what is possible.

Hi Nick you must be very tall indeed as I am 6ft 4" and I dont find any problem driving a standard 2 or 3 with original steering wheel etc though I do agree that the steering rack conversion is a good idea. I find more problems driving my 4a as my left knee is in contact with the "H" section most of the time.

Stuart.

Hello Stuart

6ft 4" is about 193cm if i converted it correct.

I'm 204cm witch is about 6 ft 8", so yes i'm tall :)

We have removed the glove compartment in my fathers car, that's where my knees are during the driving part.

But driving a post ts60.000 car doesn't work for me, the seat cant go back far enough, and my head sticks out above the window.

That's why my car is a pre ts60.000, there is some extra room, and we cut out a piece of the rear mudguard and floor.

It isn't pretty, but is works.

Also the seat is changed into a MGB seat, these are tubular and it has been stretched 10cm

I have read about using a TR7 steering rack, does someone have more details on this conversion ?

Also i heard that it's possible to use some tr4,5,6 parts in the front suspension to set it up for the 3deg conversion.

Which parts are those, i haven't found a list ore something.

Thanks

Hello Stuart

6ft 4" is about 193cm if i converted it correct.

I'm 204cm witch is about 6 ft 8", so yes i'm tall :)

We have removed the glove compartment in my fathers car, that's where my knees are during the driving part.

But driving a post ts60.000 car doesn't work for me, the seat cant go back far enough, and my head sticks out above the window.

That's why my car is a pre ts60.000, there is some extra room, and we cut out a piece of the rear mudguard and floor.

It isn't pretty, but is works.

Also the seat is changed into a MGB seat, these are tubular and it has been stretched 10cm

I have read about using a TR7 steering rack, does someone have more details on this conversion ?

Also i heard that it's possible to use some tr4,5,6 parts in the front suspension to set it up for the 3deg conversion.

Which parts are those, i haven't found a list ore something.

Thanks

Hi Nick Ok fair enough you are a very tall bloke so I see why you have a problem!!

I think the rack conversion from TR Bitz utilises the TR7 rack but it has the inner rack ends cut down and re-threaded, you can use late TR4 top wishbones as long as you use the later 3degree castor trunnions. also the rack conversion works better with the TR4 steering arms set as close to the discs as possible to eliminate bump steer.

Stuart.