Bolting body down

I would have said by going over all the mounting points on the chassis with taps and clearing the threads. Then checking all the holes line up when you sit the body on the chassis if there's been a lot of repair work/new panels........

I started bolting down from the centre and worked outward, but for no good reason.

Rob

With the body on the chassis would be a good starting point.

Seriously, you need to start with a complete body mounting kit, follow the parts book for what goes where (can be a little challenging!), start off with the standard set up & go from there.

If you’ve been doing a body resto, hopefully you haven’t welded the outer sills on yet as this must always be the last thing to be done with the body securely mounted on the chassis & the door gaps/panel fit accurately set. You can compensate by adding/subtracting spacers at the back end at a push but only if you can’t get the desired result by adjusting the outer panels. If it's mostly all new, start with the doors & work outwards to the front & back but be prepared to compromise; my back end was mostly original so I monted the body minus the front end & worked front the rear vallance forwards but, because of some really poor fitting inner front wings & front vallance, ended up considerable re-shaping them to get the front end to fit properly. Given a straight chassis, the outer panels should always be the prime adjustment &, believe me, it can be a long haul!

I definitely agree with you Richard it can be a long job especially if a lot of work has been done on the shell. You will get fed up with doing all the bolts up tight only to find that you have to undo them all again to add/subtract yet another shim!!

Stuart.

Rob

With the body on the chassis would be a good starting point.

Seriously, you need to start with a complete body mounting kit, follow the parts book for what goes where (can be a little challenging!), start off with the standard set up & go from there.

If you’ve been doing a body resto, hopefully you haven’t welded the outer sills on yet as this must always be the last thing to be done with the body securely mounted on the chassis & the door gaps/panel fit accurately set. You can compensate by adding/subtracting spacers at the back end at a push but only if you can’t get the desired result by adjusting the outer panels. If it's mostly all new, start with the doors & work outwards to the front & back but be prepared to compromise; my back end was mostly original so I monted the body minus the front end & worked front the rear vallance forwards but, because of some really poor fitting inner front wings & front vallance, ended up considerable re-shaping them to get the front end to fit properly. Given a straight chassis, the outer panels should always be the prime adjustment &, believe me, it can be a long haul!

Thanks Richard l didnt have to do much to the body wanted to sort it out before it got to bad another question for you or anyone else l put body strutes across the doors when l lifted the body off is it best to remove these before l bolt the bodyback down or after.

Rob

Thanks Richard l didnt have to do much to the body wanted to sort it out before it got to bad another question for you or anyone else l put body strutes across the doors when l lifted the body off is it best to remove these before l bolt the bodyback down or after.

Rob

I would leave the braces in place until you have the body on the chassis with the standard packers in place. Once all are in, remove the braces & tighten all the fixings starting at the centre of the car & working outwards; I bet it all don’t fit the same as it came off & that’s when the fun starts!

I would leave the braces in place until you have the body on the chassis with the standard packers in place. Once all are in, remove the braces & tighten all the fixings starting at the centre of the car & working outwards; I bet it all don't fit the same as it came off & that's when the fun starts!

Richard, are you saying that if you took an otherwise sound tub off the frame (eg to do some frame restoration and manybe overhaul the underside of the tub etc) that when you come to bolt the tub back onto the frame you should expect some alignment issues ?

Stan

Richard, are you saying that if you took an otherwise sound tub off the frame (eg to do some frame restoration and manybe overhaul the underside of the tub etc) that when you come to bolt the tub back onto the frame you should expect some alignment issues ?

Stan

I've never put the same tub back without any resto work being done on it but re-fitting with all new spacers & rubber mounts, I would be very surprised if it all went back exactly as it came off!

I've never put the same tub back without any resto work being done on it but re-fitting with all new spacers & rubber mounts, I would be very surprised if it all went back exactly as it came off!

Thanks to everyone for your help look like l am going to have a lot of fun.

Rob