Stag Gearbox on a TR4

David,

There is a set of conversion brackets available to allow a J type TR gearbox to be fitted into a A type chassis. The early brackets were not good and were modified into the current type which apparently do actually work.

I am not sure of the differences in the rear mount for a Stag to TR J type gearbox.

If they are the same then clearly the brackets will allow for this conversion.

What you really need is an earlier Stag gearbox with an A type overdrive. I think this will fit straight into the existing chassis brackets.

Good luck.

David

Hi David (s)

My experience is that its just (only) about possible to put a J type in TR4a/ 5 and 6 IRS chassis as there is slighly more room at the rear. On the TR4 becasue the J type box is a shade longer its all just too tight. The new brackets still dont fit on a TR4 ladder chassis .... as David F says, the early ones just werent right, apparently because they were designed for the TR6 chassi, with oval holes to allow 'adjustment' .... a right old bodge.

Ive proven pretty comprehensively (at least to myself !) that fitting a suitably and properly modified stag a type into a TR4 is easily enough done if you do it properly. Id say (as I think I said to David B yesterday) that you should start with an a type and go from there.

I can tell all my secrets on the Leukemia ......

Regards

Tony

• 1 month later...
Has anyone any experience of fitting a Stag gearbox with J type overdrive to a TR4

I know that the layshaft may need changing and the rear bracket for the mount is 1.5 inches further back

Does anyone know of any tried and tested fitment

Has anyone any experience of fitting a Stag gearbox with J type overdrive to a TR4

I know that the layshaft may need changing and the rear bracket for the mount is 1.5 inches further back

Does anyone know of any tried and tested fitment

been thinking of same modification, what did you decide to do ?

regards Adrian

Hello.

I posted a simular question on the main form ( still there near the bottom of the page.)

The last relpy I got was very helpfull. Have a look at it if you have not already seen it.

I am going to attempt to fit the J-type as a winter project.

I got the prop shaft that was with the gearbox & intend to split the knuckle and fit it to my prop, which may over come the problem of the J-type holes not lining up with the TR prop.

Regards Rob