Live axle 4A - rear shock mod

I tried this query a while ago with little joy. Hopefully someone has now blazed the trail. I''m going to fit new springs to my live axle 4A as an earlier owner, a Californian track man I guess, has made a mess of mine, and rather fancy fitting Spax of Koni at the same time. Has anyone done this, either with a Moss kit or a home designed mod or something between the two? If so, love to hear about it

cheers

ray hill

Revington markets his own design of telescopic damper INSIDE the rear spring (arguably, the correct place for it to be from an engineering viewpoint) for TR4A/5/6. There are kits from other suppliers for mounting outside the spring.

Ian Cornish

Ray I also have a live axle 4a and to stiffen up the rear I have changed to polybushes, uprated lever arms and 8 spring clamps. Front has Spax adjustables on 8 cliks. This has made a world of difference beacause I was not happy with the original type of springs as they were too soft. I am sure that you could probably use one of the telescopic kits but its the lower end that would present a problem.

I think that it may be possible to make up a locating plate to bolt into the ally spacer hole where the original shock link goes but I am not sure how it would take the different forces that would be acting on it. Of course you would also have fun trying to find the correct shock for the amount of axle travel and it would have to be adjustable as well.

When I rebuilt mine there were no telescopic conversions around more than a few homemade bolt thro the wheel arch types which are quite frankly dangerous.

I am quite happy with the set up that I have now as for me on my own in the car it is very stiff as I prefer, but if the wife comes with me (and shes no lightweight) it then softens up just right for her taste as well. Tyre pressures make a lot of difference as well. I run 24 front and 26 rear on Michelin XAS.

If you wish to discuss this further give me a ring at the workshop on 01726 882680.

Stuart.