Red Line Tyres

Anybody sourced red line tyres here in the UK that were fitted to US TR's?

Mike

Good question, Mike - it would be remarkable if so.

The Michelin redlines are popular here in the 'states for nostalgic reasons, and today are one of the few remaining tyres in the original U.S. TR6 spec. size. You can still get Dunlop SP "H" rated, and Michelin 180-15 XAS ( which are closer to the redline than other 185s ) and I don't know about Pirellis. Avon no longer offer them and Michelin no longer make the 185 in XAS ( which is far and away the best performer of the size ). All of the alternatives offered better performance than the redlines, it seems. To preserve the rpm/mph relationship there are limited options, and to keep the tyre diameter the same a much fatter modern tyre would be needed, adversely affecting acceleration and braking.

My Michelin 185-HR15 XASs were made in the UK shortly after the turn of the century :P . If you can scrounge a set of these somehow you'll be very pleased with them. I searched in vain over year a few years back to no avail. The Dunlop SPs I settled for ( on my 2nd car ) are no match for the XASs :(

In the U.S. the sole agents for the redlines are Coker Tire www.coker.com and they have their own cheaper version too.

I have to say that I wouldn't touch these with a very long barge pole. The side wall can easily be damaged by kerbing or pot hole - you can't tell just by looking at them, if you want a set for display purposes only, they might be OK. I like the best possible rubber between me and the road, that 1 square foot is all there is in contact with the ground and even less if the roads are wet.

Hi Mike

I have just seen these on eBay. No idea what they are like and I am not linked to the seller.

Redlines on eBay

Pogo

I'd say they look quite good and for the money you can't go wrong ( the current price, that is ). Again, these are not the best for performance, but they are correct for U.S. TR6s and the red stripe is fetching in its own right ;)

Tom

In the UK those of a more mature age group will remember Michelin Redlines being fitted to double decker buses in the 60s, I've still got a presentation ashtray from then which is a crystal ashtray centre in about an 8" dia rubber model Michelin Redline, don't smoke so I don't get much use out of it :rolleyes:

Ron

Mike: I would suggest that you consider contacting these people. Ask for Eric. He drives a late model Triumph motor bike.

http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?targ...category_id=325

They did a fantastic job for my TR-250 and mounted 4 of the BF Goodrich 205/65R15 redlines on a set of very rare American Racing wheels.

With the very attractive exchange rate, you could get a real nice set of tires.

good luck!

DSCN2806-1.jpgDSCN2818-1.jpg

Mike: I would suggest that you consider contacting these people. Ask for Eric. He drives a late model Triumph motor bike.

http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?targ...category_id=325

These folks have several 185-15s, and the Vredestein looks like a good value with its H speed rating. Avon's V rated or Dunlop's H rated ( I have these ) are double + the price. No comment on the performance though. Coker's imitation Michelin redline is priced like the Vredestein...

From others on this forum I gather 205s would flout UK regs on wheel/tyre compatibility. Again, braking and acceleration worsen with higher tyre inertia.