Brake servo and Master cylinder

Hi Gents,

your input and personal views would be appreciated.....

At last getting to the stage where I start bolting on the bits of my TR250 rebuild.... The master cylinder and servo are in a sorry state though....i have a repair kit, but (so far ) been unable to shift the large hex socket bolt holding the tipping valve....so expect the bore to be corroded as well........ Is it possible to dismantle the servo (external corrosion)?

Is it possible to test the servo off the car?..I was thinking a vacuum cleaner or compressor inlet hose or something?!!

What is the quality of 'pattern parts' in this important area? any good (or bad)suppliers to recommend?

and any modern cars (breakers) that have a usable setup?

thanks

John

Edited by johnny250

I have bought new Master and slave cylinders, servo for my rebuild, saving all origonals for possible later rebuild. The new parts are a close copy and were sourced from TRBitz. Car was purchased with new piping kit and caliper repair kits so have rebuilt these (a little tricky getting the correct replacement cylinders).

Dont know about testing servo might be something in the brown Leyland instruction manual

Edited by Eyetee

Get new ones, they work perfectly well & are as original. IMO, rebuilding is not worth the hassle where brakes/safety are concerned. Re dismantling the servo; I gave up in the end as I just couldn’t separate the unit & mine showed no external signs of corrosion. I have kept the original but I’m not quiet sure why!

I am in favour of replacement/overhauled parts for braking systems. However to test a servo I believe you just put your foot on the brake pedal and start the engine, your foot should be able to depress the brake pedal a bit further once the vacuum builds up. Not sure how reliable this is but I am sure you would soon tell on a short, low speed test drive if the servo was working or not.

Sorry, just re read the original post, not sure how you can test a servo off the car, nothing in my copy of the leyland manual.

Edited by PJM
  • 2 weeks later...

Repairing old M/C, slave cylinders is a false economy. I speak from experience. If the cylinders were fairly new then refitting the seals will be fine, however when you finally get the hex screw off and can see the condition if the bore and it might prove to be beyond refurbishment.

A new M/C is about £70 or so last time i looked and a new servo when bought as a set from TR shop is also cheap and dont waste time with wheel cylinders they cost about £16 each.

I have just changed evreything on my 250 and the difference was er....dramatic.

I suppose the cost must be viewed in relation to how important you consider the brakes to be.

Good luck with the rebuild (its the best part of ownership)