Stop lights not working

Hi All,

My stop lights are not working, I have checked the connection of the green (live) into the switch and the green purple out of the switch to the loom. I have checked the lamps to make sure they work and both green inputs to the lamps are fine. Is there anything that I have missed. If one lamp holder was dodgy would that effect the other as I think they run in parrell ? Where is the negative / earth go from the lamp holders.

AS you can probably tell I am out of my depth already as I just do not understand electrics !

All help as always gratefully received.

Thanks

Jeremy

I would test the brake light switch first, to make sure it is not defect.

The earth on the bulb holders is the contact from the bulb to the body/lamp base. I've made (on my 72 TR6) an extra earth from the bulbholder to the car's body. No problems with ground since.

Hi Jeremy,

Is the brake light switch the plastic one (CP model) or a metal one (CR series) both are interchangeable? If plastic take it off, one large nut and star washer and check it out as sometimes the plastic ones tend to burn out internally.

Regards,

Hi Jeremy

I had the same problem. Because the tail lights worked I thought the earth was ok so I checked the bulbs and they were ok. Then I replaced the brake light switch still nothing. So I started checking through with a test meter and although I had power to the bulb sockets when the brakes were applied I still had no brake lights. So I changed the bulbs (even though they tested ok!) and the bulb holders. Same thing, tail lights but no brake lights. So, I soldered a separate earth wire to the bulb holder an bingo! brake lights! I guess the earth was ok for the tail lights but not good enough for brake lights. So I would go with Eric and try an extra earth first.

Hope this helps

Tony