HELP changed ignition leads and no start !!

A long saga here. Bought CP series TR6 which has been downgraded to run on SU's. Car ran fine but was guzzleing petrol 20 mpg. Checked carb needles and they were very thin and non standard. Bought satndard BDM needles and installed. Failed so far to get car to run well , lack of power no real acceleration. Been tinkering with mixture but no joy yet. On advice as it never ticked over smoothly upgraded to Lumenition leads, YIKES, at least car was running before and starting with no problem, now wont start, backfires, but wont start. Have checked lead set as follows, timing mark on pullewy wheel lined up with point on crankcase cover, rotor arm should be at no 1 cylinder , comnnect new leads starting at no. 1, and in following order clockwise 1,5,3,6,2,4. Try and start and backfires, little cloud on blue smoke from fron carb splutters and nothing else. Yes I know the mixture is wrong (3 full turns of hex nut at bottom of both carbs) but car did start and idle ok before albeit it had no power. Desperate to get this sorted as am supposed to be touring in France real soon in TR (with 'er indoors)

Robin, Even though you have the leads in the correct firing order I wonder if you have put them on one cylinder out?

Three turns is very rich for BDMs in SUs, try about 1.5 or 2 turns to begin with, [assuming they're HS6s]

Ron

First post - great forum - lots of good advice.

Your firing order is correct but isn't it anticlockwise not clockwise?

Cheers

BRILL post, youre correct ANTICLOCKWISE was the trick, reconnected and now running. Now for the mixture. THANKS BOTH

A long saga here. Bought CP series TR6 which has been downgraded to run on SU's. Car ran fine but was guzzleing petrol 20 mpg. Checked carb needles and they were very thin and non standard. Bought satndard BDM needles and installed. Failed so far to get car to run well , lack of power no real acceleration. Been tinkering with mixture but no joy yet. On advice as it never ticked over smoothly upgraded to Lumenition leads, YIKES, at least car was running before and starting with no problem, now wont start, backfires, but wont start. Have checked lead set as follows, timing mark on pullewy wheel lined up with point on crankcase cover, rotor arm should be at no 1 cylinder , comnnect new leads starting at no. 1, and in following order clockwise 1,5,3,6,2,4. Try and start and backfires, little cloud on blue smoke from fron carb splutters and nothing else. Yes I know the mixture is wrong (3 full turns of hex nut at bottom of both carbs) but car did start and idle ok before albeit it had no power. Desperate to get this sorted as am supposed to be touring in France real soon in TR (with 'er indoors)

Definitely anticlockwise, now where did I put my digital watch!! Cheers, Rob

[

. Desperate to get this sorted as am supposed to be touring in France real soon in TR (with 'er indoors)

Hi Robin,

Pleased you are all sorted, i am off touring in France end next week ( er indoors stays at home). Where are you planning on going?

Regards

Guy

[

. Desperate to get this sorted as am supposed to be touring in France real soon in TR (with 'er indoors)

Hi Robin,

Pleased you are all sorted, i am off touring in France end next week ( er indoors stays at home). Where are you planning on going?

Regards

Guy

Guy

June 15th I think , anyway the Sunday. Its our 25 wedding anniversary so taking the car for a few memories as when we met I had MGBs (6) werent affordable. Moved on to Alfas, very nice ,Porsches, not bad, Ferraris now theres a car and now back to my roots. Bought a CR series and restored suspension and repaint etc to feel my way, have outed it now to sunny Spain and now have bopught a CP Series in gread body and chassis nick, good engine , rebuilt gearbox and drivetrain but converted to carbs. Anyway a few more bits before France then strip and get bare metal repaint and rebuild on return so should be perfect for next year.