Brakes - Long pedal travel

I have a TR6 converted to RHD, the problem is with the long travel of the brake pedal. all the seals have been replaced in the master cylinder and brake cylinders, all tubing replaced and silicon fluid has been used, all pads renewed and set up, the system has been bled many times, the brakes work ok but the pedal travel is excessive, anybody got any ideas how to reduce this

Regards

Oyibo

Hi Oyibo & welcome to the forum.

I assume you have the correct master cylinder fitted? You say all the seals have been replaced, was it the same before? If it was originally a left hooker, I believe there was a balance valve fitted in the circuit which can give rise to problems when bleeding; I’ve no personal experience here but no doubt some of the others will be able to advise.

Replacing rubber seals used to be accepted practice years ago but these days I don’t think it’s a good idea where brakes are concerned & would always advise fitting new cylinders; not doubting your competence when rebuilding the cylinders but that may be the source of your problem!

It could be that the rear slave cylinders are returning, are the shoes adjusted up properly. It would be good to close the rear circuit off by clamping the rear flexible pipe with a proper tool of course, and see if this restores the pedal height, you could then go round all the rubber pipes with 4 clamps then the pedal should be hard, that way you know which caliper or brake is at fault.

John

Oyibo & John

The flexible hoses could actually be the problem themselves. Would not be the first time that they have gone so soft that their expansion causes longer pedal travel.

Regards

Tim