TR6 Tyre Sizes

I wonder could someone confirm what was the original tyre size for a UK spec TR6. There is some contradictory information about. I want to maintain originality and gearing. I understand that 185/15 was original which would mean a 185/85 x 15 ? Is this size still available. if not, Do you reccommend anything else? Thanks. Ian Giles

Ian,

165/85 x15 was standard for the UK six. We have circa 200 plus copy Heritage certificates in the records and they all state either 165 Michelin XAS or 165 Dunlop SP Sport.

185/85 was standard for the US market six, either 185 Goodyear Red band or 185 Michelin X Red band.

Hope this helps

Derek

Hi Ian

The heritage certificate for my 1971 CP Series TR6 says it was fitted with 165 x 15 Dunlop SP tyres.

Good Luck - there must be loads of information on the forum about tyres and tyre sizes. I would be interested in what you find out as I am in the process of getting my TR back to as original as possible.

Pogo

http://www.cp54542.co.uk

Hi

Original Tr 6 was 165 hr 15.

At the time of the 6 production the aspect ratio was 82% (Not 85%) 165 x 15 our now standardised at 80%.

That is the currently available direct replacement.

185/70 15 has the exact same rolling radius as the original 165 x 15.

talk to others running 6's with modern fitments, for what its worth if I was runninmg a 6 today I would use 185/65 x 15.

as a super compromise, availability v running v gearing v cost and choice of manufacturer etc.

john

Hi

Original Tr 6 was 165 hr 15.

At the time of the 6 production the aspect ratio was 82% (Not 85%) 165 x 15 our now standardised at 80%.

That is the currently available direct replacement.

185/70 15 has the exact same rolling radius as the original 165 x 15.

talk to others running 6's with modern fitments, for what its worth if I was runninmg a 6 today I would use 185/65 x 15.

as a super compromise, availability v running v gearing v cost and choice of manufacturer etc.

john

Hi All

Very many thanks for such useful information. 185/70 x 15 would be the ideal but are difficult to get ( Vintage tyres only) and most people go with the 185/65 x 15 as the ideal compromise. I sourced Uniroyals from Venture tyres in Bristol for 35 pounds each plus Vat. Thanks again for all your input. Kind regards, Ian Giles