I am on the process of rebuilding a TR3a.

The seats on my car were a write off with more rusty bits in the seat pans than sound metal so I have acquired a set of early TR4 seats.

I always understood that TR3a's and early TR4s had the same seats but although my 'TR4' ones have the correct rounded profile, rather than the squared off shape of the later TR4 seats, they also have a sort of square 'well' in the middle of the seat pan rather than the simple ribs pressed into my TR3a seats. Does anyone recognise this type of seat with the 'well' in the middle? I have to say I am not too bothered as long as they fit because I am not going for a concours rebuild, just something that looks OK.

Ian

I always understood that TR3a's and early TR4s had the same seats but although my 'TR4' ones

have the correct rounded profile, rather than the squared off shape of the later TR4 seats, they

also have a sort of square 'well' in the middle of the seat pan rather than the simple ribs pressed

into my TR3a seats.

Does anyone recognise this type of seat with the 'well' in the middle?

The 'well' is normal for all TR4 TR3-style seats. Another slight difference is that the TR4 seat cushion

is a little shallower than the TR3 cushion.

You may find that the studs in the TR3 and TR4 seat runners are in different postions - not 100% sure

but check first before you do any repairs.

There is also a possibility that the TR4 angle brackets are slightly higher, raising the seat to allow space

for the 'well'. Again, I'm not 100% sure, but check first before you do repairs.

AlanR