Hi All,

I have a single bore s/s exhaust system , it turns up and protrudes beyond the end of the bumper by five and three quarter inches.

I am aware this helps kick out the fumes and prevents them being returned into the car. i have walked into it on a number of accasions.

Just wondering if thats the norm.

Regards

Guy

Guy, The exhaust on my 6 comes from Phoenix and the rear pipe runs flush with the bumper :mellow: Someone could badly hurt himself when falling on it :( if it protrudes to much

Thanks Jean,

Yeah thats my concern, i have replaced the rear back box , its replacement, i cant recall its type is fatter and longer than its predicessor, came from revingtons.

So should it be flush ?

Regards

Guy

Good evening Guy,

I have a similar exhaust to yours, single, large bore from Revingtons, and mine too is flush with the rear edge of the back bumper. Its the second one I've had as well (due to a shunt up the rear...!!) and the last one was the same. So I think you might have an ovelly long one...!!

Cheers,

Mick.

Good evening Guy,

I have a similar exhaust to yours, single, large bore from Revingtons, and mine too is flush with the rear edge of the back bumper. Its the second one I've had as well (due to a shunt up the rear...!!) and the last one was the same. So I think you might have an ovelly long one...!!

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi Mick

Well looks like i am going to have to get the hacksaw out, and chop it off !!

Will have a better look at it in the morning, but 5 3/4 inches seems alot to lop off !!

The back box is attached by two lugs that come from the side of the tail pipe as it leaves the silencer (just like ears) and is then suspended by two rubbers that are bolted up to body. I think the attachment to the body is an original fixings position.

So should i just cut tail pipe or try to move box back and put in new fixings up to body ?

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Hi Mick

Well looks like i am going to have to get the hacksaw out, and chop it off !!

Will have a better look at it in the morning, but 5 3/4 inches seems alot to lop off !!

The back box is attached by two lugs that come from the side of the tail pipe as it leaves the silencer (just like ears) and is then suspended by two rubbers that are bolted up to body. I think the attachment to the body is an original fixings position.

So should i just cut tail pipe or try to move box back and put in new fixings up to body ?

Regards

Guy

Guy,

I'll have a look under mine tomorrow and see how its fxed. If I can take a photo of it i'll drop it in to your email address.

Regards,

Mick.

Hi Guy,

Before chopping off the end, at least make sure that all the sleeved joints are rammed home.

Helping out in a friend's workshops this week, we had a chav car in for MoT and service, tail pipe sticking 4" out from where it should have been. Usual sort of thing, triple the diameter it needed . . . and it wasn't blowing at any of the 4 joints.

Solid wooden chock to brace the downpipe/manifold, slacken off the U-clamps at the joints, apply 14lb sledge smartly to the tailpipe (with a wood block between sledge and tailpipe of course). Three whacks later and the end of the tailpipe was where it should have been. All the joints were about halfway in, if that. Wimp factor.

Might be worth trying !

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the offer of lunch the other day on my way up to malvern, would love to drop in , however whilst i am in the Uk i have booked the car into Revingtons for them to adjust the tuning on their rolling road the thursday, i have no idea how long they will have car.

With regard to my exhaust have checked the joints and are all fully home, so i resorted to chopping the end of as flush as i can.

Must say i miss it sticking up so much, i had got used to it, but it was a hazard, and am sure one some one would come a cropper.

The other problem is putting it on ferrys, they leave a space between cars and am sure it would get biffed by a car or walked into by a fellow passenger.

Thanks Again Mick

Best regards

Guy

Hi there Guy,

Was about to send over some photos of how mine is fitted but I see you have wielded the hacksaw......!! If you still want to see them let me know.

Regards,

Mick.

Hi Mick,

Yeah send the photos over please, might help me work out why it was so long, i reckopn the single bore pipe was too long, it is cranked also. Incidently the rear silencer is called a Tiger.

It was as painful for me as it was for the car.. :lol:

Regards

Guy