headlichts popping up

Hello everyone,

Sorry for my Englisch, but I am a TR lover from Belgium, so I do my best...

The headlichts on my TR7 are popping up by there own, without even someone near the car, contact off. It are only the licht units that come out of the body, without the licht burning. The also close by themselves, open again, close etc. etc... Verry funny to look at the reactions of the passing people, some off them think the car is hunted. Funny, but I reather like them to stay in.

When I work in the glove/fusebox, looking at the relais, it usualy stops for half a day, and then the show starts again. Can anyone give me a bit of help with that?

Jeff

I *think* it's to do with the diodes in the control box attached to the light motor. My driver's side one does that and I have to keep it unplugged and raise it manually, so I'm going to try replacing the diodes.

On a related note, my lights don't raise on switching on - I have to flash them to raise them, then switch them on and they stay up. I've had a dig around with a multimeter and as far as I can tell the connections are OK. Anybody got any suggestions? The MOT is coming up soon and I'm presuming that this is a failure.

Dan

I *think* it's to do with the diodes in the control box attached to the light motor. My driver's side one does that and I have to keep it unplugged and raise it manually, so I'm going to try replacing the diodes.

On a related note, my lights don't raise on switching on - I have to flash them to raise them, then switch them on and they stay up. I've had a dig around with a multimeter and as far as I can tell the connections are OK. Anybody got any suggestions? The MOT is coming up soon and I'm presuming that this is a failure.

Dan

Hi Dan my headlights are exactly the same as yours it was the only way I could get them to work and they have been like this for about two years tried changing the diodes but no different but it is not an mot failure tell the tester how they work and if neccessary operate them yourself so that he can check the settings and see that they work.

I can't help with Jeffs problem though sorry Jeff

Regards Moe

In the Register Technicalities CD it suggests the fault could be- limit switch in the headlight actuator assembly is shorting out- dashboard switch is faulty- or, most likely, the Pekton unit contacts are intermittent. There is a lot on the disc about TR7 headlights.

• 3 weeks later...
Jeff,

I would undo the two Earthed bolted connections by the headlight connectors and give them a good clean. Reconnect and see if its stops the problem.

Good luck.

Jim

I agree it could also be the pektron unit or the switch on the dash it’s self