Hi Glen

Welcolme to the forum if you were to look on 'Ebay' you will find some TR 6 seats I have been looking for other items and came across these seats, ebay number 160108613952 they might be worth a look although they might be a little too far for you?

Brgs

Steven H B)

Hi to everyone just bought my pj but needs better seats as my are damaged been reading about mx5 seats what are your thoughts????

or if not has any member got any they would like to sell.

Many thanks Glenn.

The Mazda seats are comfortable, fit well, are relatively cheap, widely available, come in cloth or leather but require special adapter brackets to attach via the original mounting points in the floor. They look OK, in fact more than OK but it is obvious that they are not the original seats.

If you want originality then the standard TR6 seats are the best solution but be prepared to spend at least 3 times the cost of the Mazda seats to refurb them (diaphragms, springs, foam, covers etc).

One approach is to use the Mazda seats while you plan and accumulate parts for the resto of the originals. The only danger here (as I found out) is that you will find the Mazda seats so comfortable you wont want to put the originals back in.

Stan

I don't have TR6s but I think the originals done ( well ) in leather would be more than satisfactory for anyone. I am thinking of the U.S. type with headrests, as I know UK originals didn't have them, at least not initially.

The thought of anyone tossing the originals makes me cringe :(

• 3 weeks later...
Hi to everyone just bought my pj but needs better seats as my are damaged been reading about mx5 seats what are your thoughts????

Many thanks Glenn.

HI Glenn

I have a set of MX5 seats as per your request (complete with mounting brackets) See Buy, Sell, Trade section

Let me know if you are interested. Tim Mills

Many thanks Glenn.

hi glenn, i had the same prob when i bought my tr6, the left hand seat is ok, but the drivers was shot, i bought a pair of the moss black leather from the tr shop, very comfy and superior to the originals, cost me 600 or there abouts, but watch out for thier special offers , if you get them from moss don't forget you can get a subscription paid for your tr membership. chhers and good luck with the car..

I'm with Tom on this one - I do like the comfort of the early UK (CP) series seats. I've just had a set completely rebuilt with new foams, diaphragms etc, and covered in leather.

To make life harder for me and the trimmer, I started from a pair of US (CF?) seats, as they had adjustable head restraints. The wire supporting framework was taken from the CP seats, as were patterns for all foams etc. Only niggle was that the side bolsters on the CP seat backs clip onto vertical members which are missing on the CF seats, so I couldn't have a separate centre section - the side panels are stitched to the centre one. I also went for a larger head restraint pad than on the CF, following another Leyland pattern (MGB I think).

The end result is not original, but close-ish. It's also reversible, at a cost. More importantly, it's just what I wanted - the comfort of the CP seats with the safety of the CF head restraints.

It would of course have been simpler to weld a head restraint channel into the CP seats, but I couldn't find anyone in Sydney willing to do that for a reasonable price - any alteration to the seat structure must be certified by an authorised vehicle inspector, at a cost of ~$500 (GBP200). Bureaucracy in action.

FWIW, the cost came out at A$1800, so a bit more than Moss seats cost in the UK (but far cheaper than landed here). No idea how this compares with leather covered MX5 seats, but that conversion also requires certification here, and may not even be legal...