Simple Sunday Connundrum

Evening!

I bought and built my 1973 RHD Pi from a pile of rusty bits in cardboard boxes so relied on pictures in Moss / Rimmer / "BL ROM" when in doubt as to what goes where.

But this has me flumoxed (no pictures)... Thanks for previous advice (that has worked) on how to stop my lumpy pick up (adjust the butterflies), but there remains a small matter of a spring with nowhere to go.

Please take a look at the pic attached - the spring (bottom centre of the photo) taken from P30.15.02 sheet 2 of the second edition book of words... doesn't show where the other end of the said spring goes. I'm more than happy to ask the missues to hold a pair of long nose pliers on it in the right place but she get's tired running alongside the car. Aside from that, nothing obvious to atach it to and while you may be thinking this is a bit of a blond question - I never have seen under the bonnet of a complete TR6.

Help (or better a pic) would be fabulous!

Ps. Thanks to Richard Crawley (mostly), Crownwheel (?), Paul Gardner, Wheeler, Red6 & Stuart for the advice on the butterflies that following a most enjoyable morning of twiddling and learning seems to have paid off!

Rgds - Richard (still a newbie!)

post-4558-1177270755_thumb.jpg

post-4558-1177270755_thumb.jpg

Evening!

I bought and built my 1973 RHD Pi from a pile of rusty bits in cardboard boxes so relied on pictures in Moss / Rimmer / "BL ROM" when in doubt as to what goes where.

But this has me flumoxed (no pictures)... Thanks for previous advice (that has worked) on how to stop my lumpy pick up (adjust the butterflies), but there remains a small matter of a spring with nowhere to go.

Please take a look at the pic attached - the spring (bottom centre of the photo) taken from P30.15.02 sheet 2 of the second edition book of words... doesn't show where the other end of the said spring goes. I'm more than happy to ask the missues to hold a pair of long nose pliers on it in the right place but she get's tired running alongside the car. Aside from that, nothing obvious to atach it to and while you may be thinking this is a bit of a blond question - I never have seen under the bonnet of a complete TR6.

Help (or better a pic) would be fabulous!

Ps. Thanks to Richard Crawley (mostly), Crownwheel (?), Paul Gardner, Wheeler, Red6 & Stuart for the advice on the butterflies that following a most enjoyable morning of twiddling and learning seems to have paid off!

Rgds - Richard (still a newbie!)

Hi Richard,

As Jean says there is a difference between the CP and CR cold start cables and linkage config. The inner cable is longer on CP series. If it is a CP engine the cold start cable attaches to the cam,then there is a return spring and attached to it is a long hook spring which locates in a small hole on the LH side of chassis turret. I can't remember how the CR configuration goes.

Regards,

Hello RichardH.

Having just 'been there & done that' I'll pass on the following. (for CP linkage)

The cold start return spring is the same part no. as the throttle return spring, the eye on the spring fits over the thread of the barrel nipple for the cold start cable.

The other end picks up to a hooked wire which as others say engages in a small hole in the inner wing. If you talk kindly to Luca at London TR Shop, he will send you a sketch taken from an original wire - these wires are not available.

In the event of not finding the hole in the inner wing, make a 'teardrop' shaped plate to pick up to the top bolt of the engine mounting. You'll obviosly have to adjust the length of the wire but this gives a nice vertical pull. I made my 'wire' from stainless steel strip rescued from the windscreen wiper blade of a Eurobox. PM me if you want more details.

Incidentally, The other part which doesn't appear anywhere except I think Roger William's "How to Restore" is the copper washer which should be fitted to the top bolt of the engine rear oil seal housing. ;)

Dave Worne

Now with the 4A & the 6 (wifes) both on the road. :lol: