Bringing a TR4A out of Long-term storage

I often think our friends in the UK are a little OTT for MOTs and such on antique cars. My American ungoverernable streak, I guess. But where tyres are concerned, I'm with Alec. Way too much riding on tyres (pun intended) to take chances with decades-old rubber.

Having seen some of the lashups on cars that have come back from the US I think I know which system I prefer!

Stuart.

Having seen some of the lashups on cars that have come back from the US I think I know which system I prefer!

Stuart.

Hah! Welcome to the Wild West.

But just think about how many more cars there are in original unmodified condition as a result! ????

Hah! Welcome to the Wild West.

But just think about how many more cars there are in original unmodified condition as a result!

Hmm well having seen what I have the expression "Unmodified" cant be applied to many I would have said.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Before this get's too far gone on the subject of old tires, I thought I'd give an update.

After loads of tinkering and lots of carb cleaning, electrical sorting, she fired into life yesterday. After warming up it settled into a nice idle.

I'm going to attract some flak, but I did take it up and down the longish driveway a couple of times to hear the transmission - reverse, 1, 2 all sound fine, so I think we are in business. Parking brake very stiff (just short of seized), but I was able to relieve them so the car would roll freely. All the gauges started working as well, including fuel gauge. Hooray. Bit of a tidy up.

Another one back on the road.

I'm taking it 100yds down to the local garage for a brake service and while they pull the tires will have them replaced. An MOT and we're off.

thanks all.

post-15218-0-37701000-1506933203_thumb.jpg

post-15218-0-80562200-1506933220_thumb.jpg

post-15218-0-92207200-1506933235_thumb.jpg