Just a thought, if all of the above doesn't cure the problem then as soon as/if it does it again check the carbs for icing up.

What air cleaners are you using?

Is the inlet manifold heating up correctly?

Have you a radiator cowl fitted?

Has I said just a thought, I had similar problem in my youth on an early Ford Anglia half way up Shap after fitting a 1500gt motor with no air cleaner and the inlet manifold not piped in.

Sounded good though!

I put on extra earths.Chassis to engine,battery to body and then engine. I found an intermittent fault with the white (trace black) cable from dizzy to coil which was making and breaking.Installed a new one and bingo.

Not saying it could be yours but...

it is going to be a simple fix and when you find it you will kick yourself!.

Have you tried Howard?

Regards Harry.

Hi Mike,

another odd one that I had that affected uphill driving but not too bad on the flat.

I found the clamps holding the carburettor connecting bar for the the front carb loose - this effectively stopped the front can working.

I only found it when I removed the filters and noticed the carb piston not moving.

Roger

Hi Everybody - update on my crisis. I have fitted my new Revington fuel pump big filter inertia switch - took the TR out for a 50 mile drive yesterday and it ran really well.

So it seems Howard and every one else were right to blame the fuel pump. Thank you all for taking the time to help with your replies.