TR2 Lockheed Brake Union Threads

TR2 Chassis no. TS 7062 'O', Lockheed 10 inch drums.

I have just received a set of Automec brake pipes to replace all the fixed pipes. On attempting to fit them I find that the ⅜ UNF thread on the Automec pipes doesn't into the connectors. I don't have a ⅜ BSF tap or bolt to check if my car is fitted with BSF thread but is that the problem?

Has any one else had this problem and what solutions have you arrived at.

Cheers

Jim

I know that the Lockheed threads were different to the later Girling ones, but can't advise what the thread actually is.

Did you order pipes specifically for Lockheed system ?

Bob.

Hi

Had a bit of a faff with my Lockheed system as a combination of thread sizes.

Not at home at the moment but from memory the rear cylinder brass unions are BSF and front cylinders (well, replacements anyway) are UNF. I make my own brake pipes so I double checked each pipe run.

I actually ended up replacing the brake pipe unions at the front with UNF as the originals were damaged. Might be easiest to get some male BSF connectors and find a local garage with a flaring tool if you don't have one yourself.

Steve

Hi Jim ... I bought pipes from Automec as well, and was happy with the product, but it took some time to sort out the connections on my 56 Lockheed-equipped TR3. I'm in Canada and was dealing with UK headquarters. I have a long series of email exchanges with them. I can review in more detail but I think this is what I found.

• the standard fittings on all the pipes (except the bridge pipes) are 3/8 x 20 BSF
  • bridge pipes on the drums are 3/8 x 24 UNF
  • the flex hoses are 3/8 UNF on male end and the female end is 3/8 BSF

BTW, in case you are planning to get braided hoses, I bought Goodridge braided hoses and those did not fit without modification and it took some time to sort that out too.

If you have more questions, will go through my notes some more.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike,

I'll write to the shop that supplied them and let them know they are wrong. I'll see where we go after that. I just wrote to the forum in case ST (or Lockheed) in all their wisdom had changed threads during the run of the Lockheed braked TRs.

Cheers

Jim

Egg on my face. The pipe kit comes with 2 extra small lengths of pipe for what reason I don't know. They just say that the kits may have some pipes in that are surplus to needs. I guess they are trying to cover a couple of different possible combinations. Those 2 extra pipes have ⅜ UNC connectors and they are the ones I tried in a couple of places because they are short and thus easy to try when one is checking to make sure that the right gear has arrived.

All the other pipes in the kit have ⅜ BSF connectors so I can go on and do the job.

Just thought I'd share this so that people don't go on thinking Automec had made a mistake.

Cheers

Jim