Fitted a fuel pump inertia cut off switch

One of the more worrying aspects of the TR5 was the lack of a fuel pump cut off switch. With 100psi of petrol lurking in the lines front to back, a tiny fracture after an accident could lead to a horrific fireball so I fitted a switch.

Several manufacturers use the same switch on their modern cars (Peugeot, Landrover etc) and I picked up an almost new one from a local breakers together with several feet of the loom attached to the the connector and fitted in series with the fuel pump relay.

I couldn't decided whether to place it inside the car adjacent to the passenger footwell in case it needed an urgent reset perhaps after a bumpy stretch on fast section of road where I suddenly found myself without power, but then Landrover install it in a very inaccessible place under the seat and Peugeot under the bonnet in their cars, so I mounted it on a part of the bulkhead that looked like it was designed for the job.

Paid £2 for the part at the breakers and had it fitted in 20 mins.

cutoff2.jpg

cutoff.jpg

I have one of those, but the three wire version. This lights a warning if the switch trips.

May sound stupid - I mean you will notice if you run into something, won't you? - but mine tripped when I ran over the rather viscious kerbing at Snetterton. The vibration set it off.

John

Mine is the three wire version too, but the Peugeot loom only uses the two connections, not the switched/crashed output. If it all goes quiet after a bump, I'll know what it is. I was worried that it might trigger spuriously as it's quite easy to trigger it in your hand, but as I haven't seen too many crippled Peugeots by the roadside, I guess it's quite resilient to "normal use".

I fitted the TR6 style switch to also act as an isolator if any work is needed on the electrical system and so the pump is not continuously running... It can also be 'hidden'

Brgds