Overdrive gearbox from Triumph 2,5 saloon to TR6

Hi Oystein,

Assuming an A type gearbox and A type Chassis or J type gearbox and J type chassis, it should be a straight forward swap. The output flange will need changing or machining to match the TR propshaft. You can use an uprated GT6 clutch plate available from Moss in their Triumphtune range.(part No. TT2702. 10 x 1"spline).

Graeme

Edited by graeme
Assuming an A type gearbox and A type Chassis or J type gearbox and J type chassis, it should be a straight forward swap. The output flange will need changing or machining to match the TR propshaft. You can use an uprated GT6 clutch plate available from Moss in their Triumphtune range.(part No. TT2702. 10 x 1"spline).

Graeme

Are the ratios the same?

If it is an A type from a 2000 or 2.5 pi saloon then the speedo drive will be positioned higher up on the rear casing, and the cable will need fiddling to fit and you will need a right angled drive. You will need an adaptor, from Moss to fit the rear mounting to the chassis of the TR as the saloon mounting is angled. The speedo will read wrongly, either swap the annulus ( expensive ), or recalibrate the speedo. The solenoid is at the wrong angle lying horizontally instead of vertically- I have been told that a small, one inch by one inch, piece will need to be cut from the edge of the floor if the solenoid fouls. I don't know about the gear ratios, but most of the 2000 saloons have 4 springs to hold the overdrive clutch whilst out of overdrive, the TR has eight, the 2.5 has 8 . The accumalator spring may need changing as well to a TR strength one. The clutch plate has to have the same diameter shaft and number of splines- use the saloon one. The rear flange to be swopped for your TR one, the propshaft is the same. I think the pegs on the clutch fork will need to be changed.

If using a J type box and overdrive then you have to swap the input shaft and its mating gear for a TR one, change the speedo drive and rear flange and alter one of the hydraulic valves. Mountings are available from Moss to mount the rear again.

I am not too well up on the J type box and overdrive, but I am , at the moment, rebuilding a 2.5pi saloon A type gearbox and overdrive to put into my non-overdrive TR4. I also have a Dolomite Sprint J type box and overdrive, but the A type is "period" so I am using that.

Hope that helps, if you have an A type chassis use the A type box and likewise J type chassis and J type box to make it easier.

Isn't there a difference in the length or protrusion of the input shaft as well or is that just the Stag boxes - I'm sure it's been mentioned before? Also what about the thickness of the bellhousing flange?

Edited by jonlar

The Stag and Dolomite Sprint input shafts are a lot longer, but not the 2000 and 2.5, hence the need to change to a TR item. The bellhousing has the very slightly thicker flange, as the later TR boxes.