Supplier of new Chassis plate needed.

Do you actually mean the chassis plate or are you referring to the aluminum VIN plate on the top of wheel arch under the bonnet? The one that has chassis number, weight, paint code etc.

I bought mine from www.sportscarsupplies.com and a local engraver filled in the blanks

Hi Rob, the Commission plate, the Comm No. digit were stamped in by the makers of the plates, so numbers are correctly spaced and straight, if it was fitted with O/D, a letter O was stamped on by hand and spacing/position is variable. Comm. No. is in 7/32"/5mm size, the Paint No and Trim in 4mm. They're illustrated in the Moss, catalogue - wording altered over the years.

There were 2 different types, depending on the year. I stamped my own but you need to be careful & I managed to mess the first one up. You need to make up some form of guide to get the characters in line or it will look like a pig’s ear & the MOT man might not like it either!

Other problem from memory is there are 2 different character size; the smaller one was no problem & I bought a die set from an auto jumble for around £6 I think; the larger size I couldn’t find for sale anywhere but eventually managed to borrow a set from on of my companies workshops.

The O for the overdrive on mine is right to the right of the serial number but on all the documents V55 its been added into to the serial number , is this correct? Should I leave it or should it really be changed?

Regards John

Hi John, I've had a running battle with the Swansea joke factory for some time, they claim they can only put a zero (0) at the end not an O. They manage to get the CR in so why not, and modern cars have all sorts of mixes of letters and digits.

Hi Ian, get the plate first, they may want to see the vehicle complete with plate - have you got a Heritage Certificate with the "O" on, they will usually accept that, but take, don't send the original document, they don't accept photo-copies or laminated, but if you send the original, they'll almost certainly hang on to it!