Blue mohair Tonneau?

Hi all,

Can only seem to find black or white tonneaus at the usual outlets.....can you get a navy/shadow blue one in mohair or canvas?

Also....sorry to be thick.....but just what IS Double Duck?? Sounds like a large chinese meal to me! :)

Steve, I've a blue mohair hood, so I would think you should also be able to get a tonneau in the same material, someone like Prestige who have the tonneau patterns should be able to make you one.

Double duck is two layers of canvas with a membrane, it's rubbish, don't use it, it is very coarse compared to mohair and fades remarkably quickly [bought the Tshirt many years ago :angry: ] Happisch [spelling?] is a good hood material as well, very much like mohair but a bit cheaper.

Ron

Edited by ron
Steve, I've a blue mohair hood, so I would think you should also be able to get a tonneau in the same material, someone like Prestige who have the tonneau patterns should be able to make one.

Double duck is two lairs of canvas with a membrane, it's rubbish, don't use it, it is very coarse compared to mohair and fades remarkably quickly [bought the Tshirt many years ago :angry: ] Happisch [spelling?] is a good hood material as well, very much like mohair but a bit cheaper.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I have a navy mohair hood too, so a matching tonneau would be nice - will look up prestige. Only just got the tonneau out, I quite like it actually....and got peed on today in it, the rain from above is no problem...it's the stream off the side wing in the face that tends to put one off! All good fun though. Not only does it not look too good in black vinyl, a popper came off today, so a nice new one would be good.

When I picked up my car, I was thinking mohair would be some kind of long swede number, but it looks like canvas to me - what's the difference?

Guys

Don Trimming, advertisers in TRaction, on 0121 373 1313 are doing a Mercedes Blue Mohair hood and hood bag for me after the car comes back drom the paint shop. I know they also do tonneau covers.

They have been around "for ever" and I can recall having a hood for my Spitfire from them in the early 70's.

Ask for Mark.

I have no business relationship with these guys, they just have a good reputation and were trimming and doing hoods ect for our types of cars when the cars were new.

Regards

Tim

Alec

I've had a black Happich [Happisch?] hood on my MGB now for 10 years, fade free apart from the stitching, my only complain is as you point out the black inside, makes for a gloomy interior, but it was about 2/3 the price of mohair.

The blue mohair hood has been on my 6 now for about 5years, again fade free and a nice tan herringbone interior, I've posted this before, I think although there are several hood manufacturers there is only one maker of mohair, all the samples I got before purchase were absolutely identical [they make good coasters for Scotsmen :rolleyes: ]

I'll stand by what I posted about DD for car hoods, it's rubbish, it may have been OK way back in the 50s, not only does it fade at a rapid rate, the rubber membrane perishes and you no longer have a waterproof hood, if you can't afford mohair go for vynil [finest ICI if you can still get it] All in all I would say The Happisch is probably the best value for money.

Don Trimming seem to have been around since Pontius was a pupil pilot!

Ron

Edited by ron

Hi

Ordered my interior from prestige at the show in stoneLeigh, including a Mercedes blue mohair hood , Phoned them the other day and added a hood cover in same colour and material to the order.

Found them very helpful and a good price while ordering at show prices.

Looking forward to seeing the finished produce.

John

Sapphire blue Tr 6