I just went into my local Halford and found they stock Halfords Classic 20w50 oil in an old fashioned tin 5L can, reminds me of when you could buy GTX in a can. Anybody used it? I bought it as it's a lot cheaper than Penrite HP30.

Adrian

Rumour has it that it's actually Comma 20w50 - I expect you can get that a lot cheaper without the fancy can!

I can get the Comma 20-50 from at least a couple of local Motor Factors/Accessory shops but have always shyed away from it because it is 'cheap'.

I understood that it doesn't have the addatives ect in the the likes of Duckhams et al have...

Can anyone substantiate this please? Maybe it is worth getting at less than half the cost of Duckhams after all...

Rgds

Edited by ianhoward

I wanted a cheap 20w50 oil to use for a flush out oil change on my 7 ie use it for 20 - 30 miles and then change to Duckhams Q20/50.

I went to a local motor factor and got 4.5 litre 'Route 1 20w-50 multigrade' specially blended for the older higher mileage vehicle - for £7.50

It has the codes CC and MAC 300 printed on the label and also AC300 then 360620 and 240602 below them. I cannot find out what these mean.

The address on the bottle is Route 1, Waterside Court, Wythenshawe, Manchester M23 9BE with a tel no of 0800 169 1199. The tel no connects to Schroders shareholder helpline and there is no listing on 192.com or google!

Short of going back to the factor has anyone come across this oil. At indoor temperatures it appears to be a thinnish light tan standard oil colour without any dyes.

Hi Mike, try this link as well. Very cheap oil often uses re-cycled oil. Oil does a very important job of cooling as well as lubricating, and gets hotter than the coolant.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/API.html

It would help if I include the link - don't think it helps much!

Edited by jonlar

Thanks guys.

I will only use it as a flush out - ie get the engine warmed up and then drain. I spent an hour cleaning baked on gunge off the inside of the cam cover so I suppose the sump pan could be the same. I also have a bottle of Comma petrol engine flush but I am not certain whether to bung that in with the flush out oil - it did not seem to do much when I tried it out on the inside of the cam cover.

Based on Alec's advice it seems Castrol GTX high mileage may be the one to go for as it is 15w40

Mike, if you think the sump could be that bad I would be inclined to drop the sump and clean rather than use an oil to aggravate the gunk and have some of it block your oilways.

Edit: just realised you are talking about your 7 so I don't know if dropping the sump in situ is an option for you or not

Edited by 67_gt6