Front suspension improvements

I will be getting track rod ends and lower ball joints replaced in the next few weeks and wonder if I should go the whole hog to improve the handling with a suspension upgrade. The car is only for road use but I would like a bit sharper handling and turn in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Agree with Malcolm,

Upgrade the bushes and springs as they will probably have seen better days.

Same applies for the dampers, put some decent ones under the car (my preference would be Koni or AVO)

As you are at it check the top mounts for signs off wear ....

I'm looking at doing the same to my TR and also replacing all the bushes and bolts front, rear and anti roll bar. Looking at the various websites - Rimmers, Robsport and Revington they all do the poly bushes but list them all in different ways. I know people shouldn't recommend but who are the bet to buy from?

Bryan

My initial polybush set for my FHC ('t Kreng) came from Moss if I remember correctly (it was 11 years ago).

This was a Superflex set, no problems with them. 10 Years off abuse later they are still in mint condition B)

I did order a new set for my DHC and they are SuperPro through Revington TR. But then I'll use them under 't Kreng :blink:

I think your right Alec,

As I have already bought some bits from Revington I will probably try them first. Looking through the various posts it seems that they are also the European suppliers so hopefully they should know what they are talking about, and, what I need. :P

Bryan

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on how much you're stripping things down I'd look at the TSI roller bearings - you'll need to take the springs off to fit but for a small outlay it really lightens the steering (Also greasing the steering rack works really well! )

I have no idea what the BL engineers were thinking with the original design as they originally specced alloy top mount cones which tended to wear down a bit dramatically,(they replaced them with steel later on ) I'd also check that the top mount cup is a good fit with the damper thread as they can wear against each other. and also that the cup and cone actually grip the top mount - obviously it has the cars weight pushing on it, but when going round corners it means that the wrong bits are turning if it doesn't fit properly. BL's development fix for this was to weld a washer inside the top mount cup on later cars.