vented front discs

Good eveneing,

Rimmer Bros offers a vented disc conversion, that includes spacers do be mounted inbetween the 2 caliper parts.

I know the breaking force will not be increased because the friction area and lever remain the same. But fading should be retarded, in theory at least especially, when using higher friction pads like Green Stuff.

Separating both caliper halves sounds a bit frightening.

Any experience with this kit?

Cheers

Patrick

Yes, I have experience with a similar kit for the Ford Capri calipers, that are, I believe, the same as the TRs. They use a rubber seal on each side of the spacer, the seal looks identical to the original one on the caliper. My kit included the new bolts and pad pins and I have had no trouble with them on my Zetec engined Mk1 Cortina - an easy job to do, and a cheap modification that the Ford boys do all the time .

Yes, I have experience with a similar kit for the Ford Capri calipers, that are, I believe, the same as the TRs. They use a rubber seal on each side of the spacer, the seal looks identical to the original one on the caliper. My kit included the new bolts and pad pins and I have had no trouble with them on my Zetec engined Mk1 Cortina - an easy job to do, and a cheap modification that the Ford boys do all the time .

Hi

Was there a differance in pedal travel, I've seen the kit but was'nt sure about the pedal if would end up with more travel due to the spacer fitted in the caliper

Cheers

Hi

Was there a differance in pedal travel, I've seen the kit but was'nt sure about the pedal if would end up with more travel due to the spacer fitted in the caliper

Cheers

Additional fluid would be required and therefore the pedal remains the same as the fluid fills the space. Its something I am considering for this year.

Geoff

Hi Patrick,

I've fitted the PowerStop vented discs to my 4A. Braking is very good with no noises, squealing clunking etc.

The disassmbly and rebuild of the calipers is straight forward. All you need is a good bench vice and socket set.

Using the power stop Kit watch out for the torque loading figure for the bolts - keep it down to apprx 45ft/lbs otherwise you may

stretch the bolts.

Due to the variability of some of caliper castings you may find that the disc may touch in places - no problem, little bit of fettling

easily sorts it out.

Green stuff pads included in kit - work well. Not necessarily higher friction but higher temp range thus better fade results - good for hair pin bends and other hilly things.

Roger

There is no extra pedal travel as the pads are still the same distance from the wider, vented, disc, therefore they still move the same distance. You are probably thinking of 4 pot calipers when you may well get longer pedal travel.

Fitted the ebc units to my car last year and they are fine. Cleanliness is next to Godliness when reassembling the calipers though. No effect on travel that I can detect.

David