Probably yet another dumb Kevin question... (but if you don;t ask, you don't learn)

We took our 6 out for the first decent long run of the year (Wessex TR Group spin around the wilds of Dorset and Wiltshire). Coming back, giving it a bit of a blast along the M27, there is an ominous noise and vibration throughout the car at speeds between 65 and 70 (perhaps a little faster) when transitioning between the rear wheels being under power and the engine being on the over-run. It lasts just a few seconds, sounds like tyre rumble and can be felt through the car as a vibration. At lower speeds, you don't notice it. Driving in fast motorway traffic where you tend to be accelerating and coasting, it is very apparant. On rare occasions, I've felt a very slight "clonk" when reversing out of the garage - just like Triumph Heralds used to do - and on some other occasions, I;ve heard a noise that sounds like a large sheet of plastic has been caught round the prop-shaft (which it hasn''t, because I've checked). Both the latter only seem to happen when very cold.

Could anyone care to offer any suggestions as to what it might be?

Regards

Kevin

Probably yet another dumb Kevin question... (but if you don;t ask, you don't learn)

We took our 6 out for the first decent long run of the year (Wessex TR Group spin around the wilds of Dorset and Wiltshire). Coming back, giving it a bit of a blast along the M27, there is an ominous noise and vibration throughout the car at speeds between 65 and 70 (perhaps a little faster) when transitioning between the rear wheels being under power and the engine being on the over-run. It lasts just a few seconds, sounds like tyre rumble and can be felt through the car as a vibration. At lower speeds, you don't notice it. Driving in fast motorway traffic where you tend to be accelerating and coasting, it is very apparant. On rare occasions, I've felt a very slight "clonk" when reversing out of the garage - just like Triumph Heralds used to do - and on some other occasions, I;ve heard a noise that sounds like a large sheet of plastic has been caught round the prop-shaft (which it hasn''t, because I've checked). Both the latter only seem to happen when very cold.

Could anyone care to offer any suggestions as to what it might be?

Regards

Kevin

I would start by checking all six UJ's and while I was under there check that all the flange bolts are tight.

Stan

Kevin

The clonk in reverse is probably caused by the clearance on the splines & diff shifting as you reverse the drive input; although not sinister, it’s probably no more serious that excessive wear, how old are the UJ’s & when were the drive shaft splines last serviced?

I can’t say I recognise the large sheet of plastic noise, is it at all associated with overdrive engagement/disengagement? From your other comments I would check for loose drive flange bolts or a UJ breaking up; if you don’t know the car’s history, I would have the whole lot off & replace all 6 (prop as well), just so you know they are good. Check the diff output bearings for play & stiffness while you have the drive shafts off & strip, clean & re-lube the drive shaft splines; I use Castrol Thick grease which helps to quieten everything down.

Thanks all for the usual speedy and helpful advice. It confirms my gut feeling!

The car was completely rebuilt about 10 years ago. It's done around 15k miles since then. I'll have to look through the log to see what (if any) work has been done on the UJ's etc. Certainly none in the 5 years that I've owned it, other than routine servicing, which has always been carried out by CTM Engineering.

Regards

Kevin

• 3 months later...

This got sorted today as well. It turned out to be a very worn UJ. I've never seen a conical yoke before... I think I'm very lucky that the prop shaft didn't drop off :o .

Kevin