Dash lights not working

Hi all just come back to the fold after 20 years away from TR7s Older but not wiser (I had a Grinnal conversion done in the late eighties when I had money and no kids, individual, fun but not a kit car - but it was expensive wrote it off but if it was rebuilt the reg was COW 7W).

Now to my question just bought a Solihull DHC (1982) in reasonable condition however do not have dash lights, clock working or tacho. all other idiot lights work, fuel guage, temp guage ammeter, and car runs fine, lights, tail, fogs etc. other than replacing all switches and wiring harness bit by bit any pointers from you experts out there?

Hi, well although outbidding me on sprint bits on ebay i'll still reply! most likely the rheostat to adjust dash light levels playing up,

It's next to the cigerette socket, twist back and forth lots, if this doesnt fix it, try joining the wires in and out of the rheostat, the rheostat does have two set of spades so you can by-pass it just by putting both wires on one side of it.

cheers,

Tom Pringle

Sorry about that Tom but eventually I would like to stick in a Sprint engine instead of the V8 I had done by Grinnalls years ago and at that price I couldn't resist. Now just have to get the rest of the bits I need - cheaper than buying at Rimmers. But first things first will be to try and improve the brakes so I will be looking into the 4 pot princess things that seem to be talked about but not sure yet where to start looking.

After looking at the Haynes manual I thought it might be the rehostat, but I didn't know what that was until I looked it up on googal, big switch - little function, and there was a wire hanging off the back once attached all dash lights working - now to try and fix the clock and tacho and go for a drive.

Bryan