Crankshaft Spigot

Hello All

I have an engine with a later type crank, the one where the spigot bush fits in the flywheel not into the rear of the crank.

My question is:

Can anyone tell me if this bronze spigot bush that fits into the back of the flywheel to support the tip of the first motion shaft of the gearbox should be a loose fit in the flywheel or not.

The "Brown Book" says it should be but to my mind that would lead to it rotating and possibly wearing the recess in the flywheel where it fits.

It is just a fit in the flyheel but I can turn it with my finger if I try. I was wondering if it was best to hold it in position with something like Loctite Bearing Fit or should it be loose as the book says.

If it should be loose I'd be very interested to know why.

Thanks as always in anticipation.

Best Regards

Dex

the spigot should be loose and coated in special grease.cant remember whot its called .

if the bush is too tight you will get a whistleing noise when the clutch is pressed.

i fitted a new bush when i did my clutch and it whistled for a short time when new.

dont glue it in. richard

Dex

What you describe is quiet normal so don't attempt to make it a 'better fit' by using a locking compound.

Also (& sorry to junk your suggestion Richard), don't put any grease on the bearing as it's sintered bronze (or should be!) which acts like a sponge (with oil) & must be soaked in clean engine oil at least 24 (48 preferably) hours before fitting; grease will clog the bearing pores & could seriously shorten it's life!

The reson it's a loose fit is to take up any missalignment between the crankshaft/first motion shaft/gearbox front bearing & to ensure you can actually get the gearbox to mate up sucessfully.

Edited by Richard Crawley

Thanks Gents.

Well at least I know not to glue it in but I'm still unsure whether to use Zinc Oxide grease or not.

Richard I like your soak it in engine oil idea but although it is bronze I don't think it is sintered.

I sure its the right one for the job as I got it from TR Bitz, so maybe the Zinc Oxide is the way I will go this time.

Thanks again

Dex

Hi Dex

I fitted a new bush during the resto, it was solid bronze, a running fit in the flywheel, a slight slick of copper slip and it's never given any problems. Sounds as if some suppliers are selling solid and some sintered?? I think mine came from TRGB. I would agree with Richard, if it's sintered it should be soaked in oil rather than greased. Possibly the earlier cars with the bush in the crank use sintered and the later ones solid???

Alex,

If your man was dealing with sintered bronze his method was good, if it was solid bronze he was wasting his time, solid bronze won't soak up any oil.

Ron

Edited by ron