TR6 service intervals

Hi,

I've had my tr6 for 8mths now and I couldn't say how many miles I've covered as my speedo seized up pretty early on. Probably between 2000 and 3000. the car has successfully made several 400mile round trips to France and I've enjoyed the odd hour long blast up the motorway to Oxfordshire or Hertfordshire. But mostly the 6 has been in use in town for short drives (between 10 and 20mins), at least 3 times a week.

How often should I get the car serviced? I've heard a few horror stories about certain parts rubbing "raw" through lack of grease and I'm sure a little TLC wouldn't go amiss. I could also finally get my leaking brake master cylinder and clutch cylinder changed. No more fluid top-ups for me!

Btw, my 6 has always been reliable, even during the cold snap at the end of December and has always started apart from one time when the battery was flat. Using the car on a regular basis (it's my only car) does certainly help keep the car reliable but it's still heartbreaking taking it out in the wet. There is a helluva lot of rust under the paintwork but I'm hoping it will keep on going for the next 2-3yrs and then it will be full restoration time!

Thanks,

Eli

Unless someone gives you a better suggestion, why not use the owner's manual for reference? These are available cheap in repro form.

Tom,

If my memory serves me correctly, the manual recommends a service every 6000miles. My concern is that this applies to a new car, not a 35yr old one. Should the interval between services be shorter if we take the advanced age of the car into consideration?

Eli

Doing a log book has been a big help for me; I wonder why it took me ~ 25 years of uninterrupted TR ownership to think of it. I confess that aside from oil changes I don't do routine servicing, but rather rely on a super sensitive ear to detect the next maintenance requirement. The log book keeps things in perspective - it's amazing how far off my perception of " when " something was changed can be.

Doing a log book has been a big help for me; I wonder why it took me ~ 25 years of uninterrupted TR ownership to think of it. I confess that aside from oil changes I don't do routine servicing, but rather rely on a super sensitive ear to detect the next maintenance requirement. The log book keeps things in perspective - it's amazing how far off my perception of " when " something was changed can be.

I agree that the ears are one of the most important tools for th TR owner B)

Due to a lack of time I drive about 2 to 3000 miles a year. The TR6 gets serviced every year (oil, filters, plugs, fluids.....) just to be sure. A lot of repairs, maintenance and improvements is done between service intervals.

But usually my attention is drawn to a matter by the ear !! :lol: