Electronic Ignition

First, a Happy New Year to all.

In more recent years I have become used too just working on a Vitesse or GT6 where you can sit on the front tyre and get at the distributor, I had forgotten just how difficult it was to get at the one on 7. So the thoughts have turned to fitting an electronic ignition. But like most things in life there is the catch.

Most electronic ignition's are designed for Lucas 22/25/45 or the earlier Delco type of distributor where the parts fit over the cam. But with the 7's distributor the advance weights are above the cam and therefore prevent this. So is there a product that will fit without stripping down the complete distributor.

Happy new year all

dave

I don't know if this is of any interest to you I found it on the dolomite forum

I fitted one of these units to my sprint engine and it worked well

e-mail jod clark if you're interested he makes 'em

http://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=272

andy

Personally I use the Aldon Igniter. This unit fits completely in the distributor, has only two wires to connect, looks totally original and completely replaces both condensor and points. It's your basic "fit & forget" system. Mines been in use for nearly four years with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Happy New Year All

Gary :rolleyes:

Happy new year all

dave

andy

Andy, I have my own home made points driven versions on both the GT6 and on the Vitesse. The one on the GT6 is over 25 year old and as you say they do work well but as I cannot easily get at the points I am looking to fit the pointless type. If I can't get the pointless type that fits I guess I will have to produce another home made points type.

Thanks for the info.

dave

andy

Personally I use the Aldon Igniter. This unit fits completely in the distributor, has only two wires to connect, looks totally original and completely replaces both condensor and points. It's your basic "fit & forget" system. Mines been in use for nearly four years with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Happy New Year All

Gary, a fit and forget is what I am looking for but how do you get the Aldon base plate and magnetic ring to fit over the advance weight assembly. Have I missed something or am I just being very thick!

Gary, a fit and forget is what I am looking for but how do you get the Aldon base plate and magnetic ring to fit over the advance weight assembly. Have I missed something or am I just being very thick!

Dave

The Aldon fits on in the same way as a set of points. From memory it took approx 15 minutes to fit and time the system. Please check out http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/ for prices as it was far cheaper direct than from any dealer. The model specified for the TR7 is 1148LSCC. It really is a very simple straight-forward fit.

Have a chat with Aldon on 01384 572553, I am sure they would be very helpful. I have tried to find the instruction sheet but so far have failed. If I come across it shortly I will send you a copy.

Kind regards

Dave

The Aldon fits on in the same way as a set of points. From memory it took approx 15 minutes to fit and time the system. Please check out http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/ for prices as it was far cheaper direct than from any dealer. The model specified for the TR7 is 1148LSCC. It really is a very simple straight-forward fit.

Have a chat with Aldon on 01384 572553, I am sure they would be very helpful. I have tried to find the instruction sheet but so far have failed. If I come across it shortly I will send you a copy.

Kind regards

Gary,

Thanks for the info as this sounds just what I am looking for. I want to be able to revert to points easily if the electronics fail, hence the need for an easy fit.

Gary,

Thanks for the info as this sounds just what I am looking for. I want to be able to revert to points easily if the electronics fail, hence the need for an easy fit.

Hi Dave

All I carry as spares are a set of points, condensor and the low tension lead from coil to dizzy (removed to fit the Aldon). Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Hi Dave

All I carry as spares are a set of points, condensor and the low tension lead from coil to dizzy (removed to fit the Aldon). Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Hi Gary,

Just bought the unit direct from Aldon and I agree there should not be any problems fitting it to the D302 dizzy.

Wonder where you picked up the ignition switched 12 volts + from as the supply to the coil is through a ballast resistor. Is there anywhere under the bonnet, if not I will go back to either the ignition switch or the fuse box.

Many thanks for your help.

Hi Gary,

Just bought the unit direct from Aldon and I agree there should not be any problems fitting it to the D302 dizzy.

Wonder where you picked up the ignition switched 12 volts + from as the supply to the coil is through a ballast resistor. Is there anywhere under the bonnet, if not I will go back to either the ignition switch or the fuse box.

Many thanks for your help.

Hi Dave

You should have a white wire on one side of the ballast resistor which is 12v +ve direct from the ignition switch, thats the one you need. The other side is white/yellow which should be around 6volt.

Personally, I swapped the coil out for the Aldon 12volt one, it seemed far better to me to use the complete set as all remain compatible with each other.

Cheers

Hi Dave

You should have a white wire on one side of the ballast resistor which is 12v +ve direct from the ignition switch, thats the one you need. The other side is white/yellow which should be around 6volt.

Personally, I swapped the coil out for the Aldon 12volt one, it seemed far better to me to use the complete set as all remain compatible with each other.

Cheers

Hi Gary,

All understood and again many thanks for your help.