Smiths Gauges Refurbishment

Hi Everybody. I have nearly completed the refurbishment of my fuel, temp, oil and ammeter Smiths gauges. I have repainted all four front plates (the part which has ‘smith’ and ‘temp’ painted on it) due to the fact the paint was peeling.

The original finish for the lettering is painted white letters. Have any of you come up with a satisfactory method of reproducing the letters for the gauges. Thanks Adam.

Adam try having a look through the Letraset range usually available in WH Smith or art shops and sometimes model shops.

Stuart.

Adam try having a look through the Letraset range usually available in WH Smith or art shops and sometimes model shops.

Stuart.

I am thinking of doing the same but dont know what to do to get the finish on the instruments notwithstanding the white lettering. How did you repaint the black faces of isntruments ?

I am thinking of doing the same but dont know what to do to get the finish on the instruments notwithstanding the white lettering. How did you repaint the black faces of isntruments ?

Hi Robin

I would use a satin black aerosol and then give it a polish up with t cut this comes very close to original finish

Stuart.

Maybe not what you are looking for:

I bought a few gauges from eBay. Cheep gauges in a bad state but with good faces, so you don't have to pay attention to the glas, rims, working condition etc.

I had to buy about 6 different gauges to complete a good set of 4. Costs: about £ 2.00 a peace !

Result; all gauges as good as new, with original faces en good prints.

My 2 cents. <_<

Maybe not what you are looking for:

I bought a few gauges from eBay. Cheep gauges in a bad state but with good faces, so you don't have to pay attention to the glas, rims, working condition etc.

I had to buy about 6 different gauges to complete a good set of 4. Costs: about £ 2.00 a peace !

Result; all gauges as good as new, with original faces en good prints.

My 2 cents. <_<

Satin black is very close to original – looks great compared to the flakey stuff that was there. If you take of the original black paint of the inside of the chrome rims with a drop of thinners the gauges come up looking new. Liked the letraset idea and have ordered from http://www.letraset.com/default.asp?ssctn=default. £1.49 including postage – marvelous. The cheapest thing I have found on my TR6 restoration so far ! Let you know how I get on. Cheers Adam.

Hi Robin

I would use a satin black aerosol and then give it a polish up with t cut this comes very close to original finish

Stuart.

Stuart

thanks, what did you do about the lettering. I am getting the impression that you painted over and then letraset, and theres the other markings ie the lines with identify the 10mph differences and 5mph differences, sounds v complicated to replace that lot ?

Stuart

thanks, what did you do about the lettering. I am getting the impression that you painted over and then letraset, and theres the other markings ie the lines with identify the 10mph differences and 5mph differences, sounds v complicated to replace that lot ?

Best way is to photograph an original one and then then use tracing paper to mark points on a grid scale to help with locations, fiddly but if you are going to do it then you will want it right.

i have also seen it done before by photographing an original face with the pointer removed and reducing to correct scale and then the photo was satin printed then cut out and stuck on to the face!! Ok for small instruments but i wouldnt recommend trying to do it on speedo or rev counter, there are plenty of good ones around for sale.

Stuart.