Hello 

I usually follow the TR4/4a forum, but I can't immediately see what I need in the TR6 forum so apologise in advance if this is old ground. I have a few questions, but we both have owned and fixed TRs for a good few years.

My friend needs to swap out the starter on his '6. The only upside is that it is LHD so column not in the way. Any hints - remove exhaust, get it out from underneath?

He has a spare starter of unknown vintage, but we tried it with jump leads to the body and power terminals, then flashed onto the solenoid - it engaged and spun over well. We think it's ok, unlike the one in the car which just clicks. 

It's a later 6, so the third (?) iteration of the wiring diagram. Also, what is the very small terminal on the replacement starter solenoid - test pin, or some sort of feedback to ...? I can usually read a circuit diagram but the starter section is a puzzle - far more wires than seems possible. Plus: there are extra PO wires going into the starter on the car, and all in white .... Any ideas?

Thanks Adrian (and Dave)

Is the small tag for the coil feed of 12 volts when the engine starter is engaged?

Have you identified the terminal for the   Starter switch wiring to energise the solenoid coil?

Car being after 1973 would have the pink ballast resistance wire as part of the loom.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT