Rear hub nut torque

Continuing my re-assembly of the chassis, I am onto the rear axle.

I noticed that, when I disassembled the axle, I had (for some unknown reason) loosened off the nut holding the hub to the stub axle. I think this may have been a big mistake, but can I just put it back on? If so, what torque should I use? In the brown book it seems to be 120 ft lbs, but don't want to do anything before asking the experts.

Cheers, Robert

20240423_125655.jpg.38d962ab38bcec896dffae453c8937fe.jpg

Yes you can re torque and pin.  The bearing adjustment is done by the BIG hexagon nut and lock locks at the back of the hub.  Hub needs to be off the car to do it

Posted (edited)

Thanks Pete. That's how I read it as well (about the BIG nut), but was a little worried applying 120 ft lbs without being 100% sure :)

This is the first time I've ever done a full body-off rebuild, and it can be a little scary at times, especially as I now live in France and local knowledge is somewhat scarce. I'm so glad that there's a friendly community online to help.

Cheers, Robert

Edited by rwest