Daimler 2.5 engine into TR4 1962

12 hours ago, Dic Doretti said:

I fitted a Daimler engine to a TR2 in the 1980s, the body was off which helped. I used a Dolomite Sprint gearbox which is basically a TR gearbox with a sandwich plate and longer input shaft but it was not really strong enough for the torque of the Daimler engine. If you can find a Jaguar 0/D gearbox with the rare Daimler bellhousing it is perfect for the job. More recently I fitted the Daimler engine to a Swallow Doretti which easier as it is slightly wider, about the same as a TR4, in both cases I used rack and pinion steering, a remote oil filter and Daimler Dart exhaust manifolds. The sump was  a cut down Daimler saloon sump, the Daimler Dart sump doesn't fit the saloon block and the dip stick is a fiddle, have just fitted an Audi A2 dip stick which works well.

The TR went to the south of France and the Doretti went to Le Mans a couple of times and did the TR Isles Tour to Shetland. It was a great conversion, the Doretti was sold to Phil Tucker who knows a few things about TRs. I am currently driving around in another Daimler engined Doretti which will be at the International W/E in June.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Cheers Richard

DSCN3558.thumb.JPG.291666d770b4407fd3c402a646236005.JPG

DSCN3561.JPG

DSCN0570.JPG

DSCN3292.JPG

thank you for this info 

Thanks Mike. It is a big job and probably devalues the car, which is a shame. 
John