Flat Battery

Just gone out to move my car out of its new home - the garage (it was holding the bin hostage and the bin men come today) and it wouldn't start again. Battery now completely flat. This has become a recurring theme recently.

I thought it was happening because it was parked outside and the cold/wet weather was getting to it. Also the fan belt had been slipping so guessed it might not have been charging propoerly. Got that sorted out now and it has gone into the garage but is still doing the same thing. I will turn the engine over and it will refuse to start. Try again and this time the battery will be dying, then completely flat. I have recharged the battery in between.

The last two times that it has happened the car had been stood for 3 days without use. But this morning it had been stood for one day without use. The only electrical things that are turned on when the car isn't, are a alarm/immobiliser and the clock (it is a special clock it makes 4 trips round the dial a day!) Does anyone have any ideas about what could be draining the battery so quickly?

Thanks

Graeme

Try leaving it with the earth lead from the battery disconnected, obviously replacing it to start the car. This will let you know if you have current leaking to earth or if the battery has expired. A diode pack for the alternator won't be too dear, an auto electrician could fit it.

• 4 weeks later...