Camshaft removal

On 12/2/2023 at 3:52 PM, harlequin said:

+1 for Ivor Searle, they are well regarded in this corner of England for Triumph engine work 

George 

The machining work for my low compression 6 that is mated to my supercharger was done by Ivor. Still working well with no trouble and good oil pressure after 5 years of hard use. 

On 12/2/2023 at 12:46 PM, Rob Salisbury said:

Hi John,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       If it comes to it Classic and Modern Engine Services in Bracknell (01344 488858) have done quite a few Triumph engines and would be, at the very least, able to let you know the ins and outs of having the work done, I had a 4A block and crank prepared by them 5 or 6 years ago and their work was excellent.                                                                Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, that's not too far from me, I will look them up

On 12/2/2023 at 12:54 PM, John L said:

I had mine done at Ivor Searle in Norfolk/Suffolk, but that's in UK,  there should be a a good engineering engine re conditioner in Paris, I will try and find the address.

Here's the website, might be be worth a contact,   http://www.rectif2000.com/

John

Hi John, another John L in France, we're taking over :D

I am looking at MB Rectif in Langon, near Bordeaux and nearer to me, but the plan is to get it done in the UK where hopefully people have more experience.

Thanks for your reply

On 12/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, john.r.davies said:

A quick Google finds: https://www.carrosserie-greg.fr/restauration-vehicule-ancien-6.html#:~:text=Situé à Bergerac dans le,dans son état d'origine.

A "carrossierie" is, of course, a body shop, but they might know, and they're about 10km from you, John Lewis.

John 

Hi John, I am looking at a shop in Langon, about an hour from me, but they do have an 'outlet/shop' in Bergerac if I can't get it to the UK.

Thanks for your efforts though

On 12/3/2023 at 5:42 PM, roughground said:

When I removed my Camshaft  the mechanical fuel pump got in way as its cam follower dropped down between the lobes! I took it out and no further problems

Yup, oil pump and distributor shaft have been removed so that's not the problem, if only it were that simple.

John,  Make sure you ask them to do a chemical hot bath, this is how mine came back!  They took all the plugs out and put them in a bag, but I think they replaced the aluminium one by the oil filter.  You could supply the bearings as well, from a spitfire, and give them the new cam to make sure the dimensions are correct.   

Well pleased with Ivor Searle!  There were lot of other 6's there, when I dropped mine off.  I went over for a week while they did it.

John

IMG_3428 (2).JPG

IMG_3429.JPG